Yamaha NS 10 inconsistency in sound of speaker pair

Jazzmuso

I have been using a pair of NS10 speakers bought second hand as desk top speakers for domestic use for a few months. They are the original NS10 and show some wear on cabinets but not too bad. The drivers are in full working order (they all play) and I started to enjoy the detail and separation they provide to music sources, mainly CD and analogue stereo tuner. No computer flac stuff yet in this period of ownership.
It forms part of a home office system with a NAD 3020 amplifier, Rotel RCD 751 CD player and an Akai tuner.

The one speaker (left) has always sounded a bit duller than the other, with the treble / tweeter playing very softly , but playing. The right speaker seems to have less bass (probably because tweeter fully active). This performance is the same with different amplifier and different cables. The right speaker has also lost its sound when I move it around (tilt it) when trying to position it differently. This loss is brief and it comes on again after a second or so.

My question: is this possibly crossover aging and dry joints? The speakers sound markedly different and sometimes a bit brittle (probably recording issues). Is the one tweeter on the way down? I always thought drive units work or they don't, not work 50% or whatever.

I really enjoy having a piece of audio history in my system but I am now concerned about this performance. I was advised to swap tweeters between left and right cabinets and will try this over the weekend when a friend can assist (not too good with soldering or any tech stuff).

Any views or suggestions.

Ok took it to a speaker tech and awaiting reply in a week from now. Clearly no has had similar experiences here.

Back
Top Bottom