Yamaha NS-1000 problem: 1 tweeter with lower output :'(

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Yamaha M-70, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Mr. Yamaha

Mr. Yamaha Not so much Yamaha lately... Subscriber

Hello there. I was very happy with my new acquired set of NS-1000M. Near mint, first owner, etc.

So I hooked them up to my M-2 / C-4 combo this weekend and I noticed that the left side sounded a bit more dull than the right side. My C-4 was restored, so I thought it may be due to the C-4.

First swapped the speaker wires: no change.

Swapped the M-2 / C-4 to my CR-800: no change :dunno:

Swapped tweeters to rule out the crossovers: dull sound went to the other side. Yikes, then it must be the tweeter :(

They both measure 6.2 Ohms, but one has just a lower output.

Any ideas guys? Or is this tweeter toast?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. try1256

try1256 Super Member

I have the same issue with mine but the resistance measures differently. Not sure what the cause is, I just run the L pad on the low side up and it balances out.

3. Mr. Yamaha

It looks more like it that the tweeter is not able to cover the frequency range it supposed to and therefore sounding like it puts out less sound.

4. Lesterbest

Lesterbest Super Member

Do this the easy way. Use a mono signal & balance control. That will eliminate the front end. Then it's either amp or spkr. Assuming it's the tweeter, replace both L & R tweeters.

5. Mr. Yamaha

Have you read my opening post? :naughty:

6. Lesterbest

Lesterbest Super Member

@ the end of the day, you need a new tweeter. If you can't find one, you will have to replace both. You might call Madisound. Perhaps they have a good drop in replacement(s).

7. Mr. Yamaha

Well, this turned out to be a funny story.

[​IMG]

I called the guy who sold me my pair and he said he was willing to sell me his other pair (less optical condition) for a VERY reasonable price in order tho obtain spare tweeters. He even had the delivery note from 1985 and the original owners manual, because he bought the 2 pair together new.

So, I have spare tweeters. But still don't know what the problem is with the one tweeter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mr. Yamaha

Is it possible that powering up a large amp can damage tweeters?

9. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

IN my system it seemed to be the preamp that had a problem on one of the switches. Not sure whats happening with your set: maybe it has something to do with the beryllium - maybe a flaw in the material thats not visible because it is not dead just softer. I told you to buy both sets so you can have spare drivers.

10. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

That guy was a real Yamaha fan - if I am not mistaken I see he also took delivery of a C-2x and B-2x amplifiers together with a pair of NS 1000 speakers. That C-2x is also a great preamp.

11. Mr. Yamaha

Yeah, but unfortunately he didn't had the B-2x and the C-2x anymore..
    I parted the other pair. Popped in the tweeters and my system in singing again :music:

I'll send the defective tweeter to a company in Germany for repair and then I have 2 spare tweeters. I've also cosmetically restored the extra mid range drivers and I'll keep them too as spares. They're matching pair, so they'll stick together. I'll sell the woofer drivers and the crossover networks for parts. In the meantime I sanded down the cabinets, very nice oak veneer (thought it supposed to be birch) under the messed up black coat and not to much damage. So I'll straight them out, repaint 'm and sell them.

IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0778.JPG IMG_0801.JPG

12. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

Good thinking and nice work. I am sure you'll get some money back on the sales and have the precious tweeter and midrange drivers as spares. People buy the cabinets often and yours will be different so more attractive to buyers who already have a set. Bass drivers should sell quick as well. Good luck and happy listening. What is the URL or website of the German company who do the tweeters please? Thanks CR

13. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

Dont forget to buy the binding posts for your NS 1000 on ebay, get the metal ones - they make a difference and are easy to fit - gives you many more options for speaker wire than the spring clips

14. Mr. Yamaha

Yeah the crossovers, front covers and woofers already made up for the total investment :angel:

http://www.quad-musik.de/html/english.html

Yes, I have them already off the Bay from Japan :rockon:

15. raycarr00

raycarr00 New Member

what I learned (after disassembling the speaker) was that the coil in the speaker had overheated and had partially fussed itself to the frame; or, the reason why it sounded not as loud as the other. I reasoned and verified, that a simple test would have told me so without having had to take it apart- on diode mode, connect one cable of the dmm to any terminal on the speaker and the other on the frame. if there is a "beep", then the speaker is bad(or the coil is partially fused to the frame). I found I had several midranges and tweeters, that were bad. A lesson (expensive) learned after disassembling the crossovers, replacing the wiring, caps and inductors.