Yamaha NS-1000M Speakers...Woofer pics! What to Look for?

Danimal1969

The Tall Guy
So I have a lead on a set of NS-1000 speakers. Owner is aware of what they are but isn’t looking for top dollar. They have been in storage for several years. So my question is, what should I be looking for? I don’t know if I’ll be able to connect them to a source for audio testing but I will be able to inspect them inside and out.

I’ll check the surrounds and cones for damage, I can check the resistance at the back of the speaker, and look for any other obvious damage. What else should I be looking for/at? Any common failures on these?

Help out a rookie so I don’t make any mistakes.

NS-1000 or NS-1000M-- Macassar Ebony of Black painted birch? Woofer surrounds will last forever. Beryllium tweeters are the first to go if these have been abused. If speakers have been dropped -- woofer magnet shift is a definite possibility. To check the tweeters they need to be removed from the cabinets and ohmed out. Magnet shift is easy to detect by simply pushing the woofer cones a bit. If they move smoothly.No problem. If they don't move. Problem!
I can check the resistance at the back of the speaker,
Won't tell you the whole story.

NS-1000 or NS-1000M-- Macassar Ebony of Black painted birch? Woofer surrounds will last forever. Beryllium tweeters are the first to go if these have been abused. If speakers have been dropped -- woofer magnet shift is a definite possibility. To check the tweeters they need to be removed from the cabinets and ohmed out. Magnet shift is easy to detect by simply pushing the woofer cones a bit. If they move smoothly.No problem. If they don't move. Problem!

Won't tell you the whole story.

NS-1000M. :)

Thanks for the tips. I can easily check the woofers and I suspect he will let me disconnect the tweeter to check them as well. Current owner was not the original owner so I have no idea what their history is. But your info is great! Thanks.

Do you have a set? What are your impressions of them?

Do you have a set? What are your impressions of them?
I have a set of each..Have owned the NS-1000's since new in 1980. The NS-1000M's I got possession of in 2000 from my brother. He bought them new in 1979. We both purchased them at the same BX in Germany.We were both stationed there at the same time. I have no ambition to use anything else. Except maybe the NS-690's I got from my father.

Last edited:
One of my favorite speakers! If the front metal protective grills are dented in, you can get small hook tools at the hardware store to slide into the holes and pull the dents out. Good luck! Definitely keepers.

This is one of the woofers. Is this corrosion of concern???

Attachments

• 752B0982-4714-40FF-88DD-227D2B35E101.jpeg
    752B0982-4714-40FF-88DD-227D2B35E101.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 132
The the cones move freely, I wouldn't worry about that surface corrosion. Were they stored in a humid climate?

Looks like I'm getting a pair on Tuesday.... Kinda stoked, if they perform half as good as the hype I'll be in good shape, I'll be running them with a vandersteen sub. And a pm 8005.

Last edited:
How good are they? Well, let's put it this way - the Carver Amazing Loudspeakers that have been my go-to speakers for A/B comparisons are now gone. The Yamaha's have taken their place. While I sold the Carvers with mixed emotions, I did so with no regret. The Yamahas are that good.

Won't heap on any more superlatives as they have all been said. You will love them and pictures are a must once you get them home.

Good luck.

Picked them up last night, they're in decent shape, I'll post pics in a bit. I got them with non firing tweets for 450. How hard are they to repair? I do quite a bit of electronic solder work and am certified is this a doable diy project? And lastly should I secure the woofers with glue while I have the cabs apart for re finish?

I have a set and love them. I have a question, there is some white paper or cotton like material coming out from around the the woofer magnet on the back. What is it and is it a problem?

Non working tweeter is a bummer....Hope it is repairable. Hopefully a bad contact.
Good luck.

Picked them up last night, they're in decent shape, I'll post pics in a bit. I got them with non firing tweets for 450. How hard are they to repair? I do quite a bit of electronic solder work and am certified is this a doable diy project? And lastly should I secure the woofers with glue while I have the cabs apart for re finish?

There is a Doctor toward the East Coast who repairs and parts out these regularly, he picked up a couple of speakers from me last summer, AFAIK he is still doing it (look on evilbay). I'd look at someone like him who actually knows these speakers and knows what to look for, wouldn't buy from a random seller.

Buy a matched pair however, this is important.

Back
Top Bottom