YAMAHA NS-1000M terminals +

FLX100

Hi,
I inherited a pair of these speakers, and i'm happy to read on these forums that they are worth the trouble i had getting them from Denmark to USA! - My dad got the speakers as a gift from the Danish Yamaha rep back in the late 70's, i believe, so they do have sentimental value to me!

I just bought a Yamaha M-4 on ebay (has yet to arrive), and i am prepping the rest of the setup.

First off, the speaker terminals must be replaced, so i can use some proper speaker wire!
I have seen a few posts here from people successfully changing them, and I found the supposedly fitting "gold posts" on ebay. Is it as easy as they describe on ebay? - I'm a little hesitant with just taking pliers and twisting the old terminals off, as the instructions say. Is that really the way to go?

Secondly, i seem to remember the speakers had a somewhat soft bass. When i last used them i ran them on a NAD 2100.

Are there upgrade kits available with new caps etc for a not-super-experienced, but somewhat handy person like myself? I know how to solder (worked on many electric basses/guitars), but i don't know much about electronics, electrolytes, cap values etc..

The M-4 i plan to get refurbished, sometime in the future if needed..

I appreciate any input (haha) Thanks!

I bought and installed the speaker terminals off the auction site and it was a pretty easy change out.

You should be able to do it, just take your time. While the back was off and the crossover out I replaced the tiny wire from the terminals to the crossover with some good #12 speaker wire. Made a nice difference in sound and brought out the bass more in my opinion.

The 1000M's have great tight accurate bass. They get critiqued in this aspect a lot but I think if you really listen to them the bass is there. Accurate not over inflated exaggerated bass. YMMV

Good luck and post some pictures!

Thank you!

Just for clarification (i don't plan on taking out the crossover now) is it correct that the existing terminals can be removed by simply twisting them off? - Then pulling out the wires and solder on to the new posts?

0707171948.jpg 0707172113 (1).jpg
0707172033.jpg

Well there was some slack on the wires going to the terminals from the crossover. Not a lot though and depending on how much slack you have you might be able to cut the wires and strip new ends or unsoldering the wire from the terminals and reusing them if it is really tight. You will be surprised how small the gauge is on the red and black wire so be careful with them.

Included a picture of the ones I bought and they installed perfectly. Sure makes hooking them up now a breeze and a very easy mod.

It is not that big of a deal to remove the screws from the crossover plate and remove the whole assembly and it makes the job easier, just saying.

GOT IT. Thanks so much for taking the time!
That looks simple enough! - I got the same terminals.
On other images i found it looks like the old terminals had to be broken off, leaving messy holes in the little piece of plastic they're mounted to. - Which is why i wanted to double-check.
Yes, the wires to the crossover is up next!
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom