Yamaha NS-1000M w/ CA1000iii vs Klipsch Forte II w/ Scott Tubes

dneu201

I have a chance to get a set of Yamaha NS-1000 speakers in mint condition for $600 this weekend. I have really wanted to hear these speakers, but am hesitant replacing my current setup Forte II's with a Scott LK-42. I currently have a fully restored Yamaha CA-1000III just sitting in my closet (I haven't found the courage to sell it yet) and I was wanting to know if I should get the NS-1000's at that price? I keep seeing them sell for $900-$1600.

For those of you have have experienced Klipsch w/ tubes, how does the Yamaha gear compare? I have enough equipment to sell to afford the NS-1000s, but have considered selling my Forte II's to afford the Yammies.

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

I had Forte I's and NS-1000's. NS-1000's are fast and detailed and clean sounding, but could tend to sound a little lean at times.

If the ones you're looking at are the NS-1000 (not 1000M monitors), you should buy them regardless if they're working and in good condition as they are $1200 or more market value. 1000M's are $200-300 less in market value, so still a good deal but more common.

17800362_10212301502277908_1684541271645036684_n.jpg

$600 is still a good price for the M's and if you wanted to sell later, you should be able to get your money out easily.

So as I was saying, the 1000/1000M has a nice clean/fast/tight sound. On audiophile, well-recorded material it sounds really really great. The bass, while not as deep as some, is pretty powerful. It's one of the only speakers I've had where I've felt the bass.

The Fortes tend to give a more forward, live sound, but not IMO as refined. If you like to just crank the tunes and want to feel like you're in a concert and not critically listen, the Fortes may be better. The sweet spot is also somewhat smaller to me. If you like to sit down and hear all the details and have everything as accurate and neutral as possible, the 1000M's may be preferable.

I had both at the same time (well, 1000's and Forte I's, but really close to what you're considering), and I preferred the 1000's. My friend, who's more into playing rock at loud levels, liked his Fortes better than the Yamahas. So it really depends what you like. But as I said above, even if you bought the Yamahas and preferred your Fortes, I'd be you could turn a profit on the 1000M's pretty easily.

Awesome. Thanks alot for the feedback. I currently have my Forte's in a VERY small bedroom and they sound their best when I am sitting on top of my couch against the wall (further away). I like more detailed sound and don't crank my speakers up too much since the wife is always getting onto me. I told the lady I would get them this weekend. There isn't much more wiggle room on price since they were originally at $900 and I talked her down to $600. I'll let you know if I get them. I've been looking for some Advents or AR's to pair with my Marantz gear and saw these -- got derailed a bit but I figured it was a good deal.

You'll be fine. Just make sure all drivers are working. Use the L-pads to modulate level to hear each driver working. As you probably know, the beryllium tweeter and mid are what make this speaker special and if any are bad, it can be expensive to replace. If all are working, $600 is a great deal.

They're reasonably efficient, so you don't need a ton of power, but don't overdrive your receiver/amp into clipping and damage the drivers. They're quite transparent, so changing around gear will result in variation in sound.

Anyway, congrats! Enjoy and report back on how you like them.

The NS 1000 is the worst speaker ever made. Just pm me with the address of these monsters and I will grab a hammer and go save the audio world from these things, using the hammer only after after I give them a 3/5 yr testing in my system
You need to be running to get these speakers now. Why are you still reading this thread.

The NS 1000 is the worst speaker ever made.
Tell me about it. I have two pair and I can't even give them away.........:p

Really I can't give them away. Not at the prices there going for now-a-days.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Picked them up yesterday for $600. I felt really bad for the guy because he was moving and his wife was forcing him to get rid of them and his teenager kids had no interest in them. They belonged to his brother who passed away 3 years ago, so I could tell it was tough for him to see them go. I brought the CA-1000III amp with me to test the speakers and the guy couldn't believe how good they sounded since he had previously used them with a junk amp at low levels; he kept asking me to play more songs before I took them. These suckers are HEAVY! I had to lug both of them down the stairs, and after walking them to my truck, huffing and puffing, I forgot I had to still bring down the heavy CA-1000iii amplifier.

I haven't set them up yet but I am trying to decide which amp would be the best to try first. Here is what I have:

Scott LK-42 tube amp (20-25 tube watts)
Yamaha CA-1000III (sounded great when testing)
Marantz 140/3200 separates (might not be enough power - 75W)

The room I am using them in unfortunately is a small 12x12 bedroom, but eventually will be in a large living space when I finally move to a bigger house (current living room is open and there is NO space to put speakers).

I have read good things about the Yamaha B-2 and I would love to get a silver faced one to use with my Ca-1000III as a preamp in the future.

CONGRTS on getting them!!!
Set them up!!!
Sit back and enjoy them as you ice your back from lugging them around the room.

Thanks. Just now set them up next to my Forte's. Steely Dan sounds good on the Scott, but I'm a bit weary cranking it because I'm unsure if it's enough power to avoid clipping.

Attachments

• IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 43
Thanks! I think I'm going to sell my marantz separates I just restored and try and get a Yamaha MX-1 or save up for the B-2. I could use my Ca-1000III as a preamp.

Im really loving vintage yamaha this weekend; I bought a $65 (after shipping) CT-810 tuner on eBay. Pretty good deal considering the one I saw at a record shop was going for $150.

Just finished listening to Miles Davis and now George Strait. These speakers sound amazing on the scott! I'm hoping I'm just as happy with the Ca-1000III once I set it up in this room with the tuner.

Back
Top Bottom