Yamaha NS-100X -- NS-1000M Jr.??

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
A pair of Yamaha NS-100X speakers turned up on my local CL and after a phone call and short car trip, they are mine. Rated at 80 wpc and 160 peak. They are bigger than I thought with an eight inch woofer. The tweeter looks to be the same aluminum dome found in the NS-200M but the midrange is different. The 100X mid has a smaller dome. There are no gain controls and the drivers are center lined and not mirrored. The cabinets are substantial and stiff. I played them briefly to make sure everything is good. The sound is as expected which is crystal clear mids and highs. The bass is sufficient but not abundant. Best of all, the NS-100X is made in Japan.

I found this pic from the net...

Attachments

• NS-100x.jpg
    NS-100x.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 159
Nice grab Sam

I have the NS500 and 1000M's in my collection.

Great speakers

:music:

The 100x is closer to the 500M than the 1000M in design and sound. The 100x woofer like the 500M woofer is surface mounted rather than flush mounted like the 1000M. Also, the woofer cone material is similar.

I listened to the 100x some more last night and I'm not sure where to place them yet in the Yamaha family. More later...

I don't know why they didn't use a bigger dome for the midrange driver. It looks barely larger than the tweeter dome. I suppose whatever material is surrounding the dome is a contributor.

Back
Top Bottom