Yamaha NS 690 Replacement Driver Advise

kychucky

Looks like we have DOA tweeter and midrange in a NS 690. Original stuff is a bit expensive and hard to find. Any advise on replacement tweeters and midranges?

Crossover at 800 and 6000 (12dB / Octave)

8 ohm

90 dB @ 1m , 1 watt input

Thanks
KYC

Someone in bartertown might be able to help you out. But you will need to become a subscriber $25. Other than that ebay could be a crap shoot.

No no.. forget original equipment..Perhaps I will sell the living mid and tweet. talking Parts Express stuff..

As mentioned in a recent Pioneer speaker question, The same goes here, Afraid you can't just plug a driver into a cabinet, And be good to go. You have the crossover built to those drivers. You can pull everything out of the cabs, And start from scratch, Crossover and new drivers to match, A bit of an undertaking, But is done on this site all the time. Parts express tech support is good, And can help.
Or just do what most do, Find the factory drivers, Keep an eye on Craigslist/ Everywhere on the internet, Find out what other models use the same part number. While your waiting maybe recap crossover's, Tidy up any cabinet issues. These are very good speakers, Worth getting up and working. Good luck

Last edited:
I took a quick look, These speakers are in the league of the famous NS 1000 monitors, A much loved loudspeaker, Right up there with the best of that era. A few minor differences, Not much sound wise, From what I read on this forum. Tweet/Mids share with models in that series, 670, 3 versions, 500 looks like ok, 1000. There are also 2 different materials used, The 1000, Which looks aluminum, Not sure, Or paper on the lower models. Should be ok, And cheaper

Beryllium mids and tweets.

Remember reading that before. Always wanted to hear a pair. These, And a few others. A friend owns a HT install shop in Albuquerque, He gets vintage stuff for trade in, He tells me no one parts with these. He's had 2 pairs in 20 years!

JA-0801.jpg
JA-0513.jpg

Tweeters would be drop in fit on the 690's But the mid would require some routing.

That's the mans answer right there. If I owned these, I would get them going. I see these parted out once in awhile. So the paper versions will also work looks like?

Back
Top Bottom