Yamaha NS 690 Replacement Driver Advise

Original 690 drivers
img-3492_orig.jpg
yamaha-ns-690-ii-tweeter-hf-driver-ja_1_6c967949d526284a77d27cf0a85cdfe4.jpg

The OEM 690 drivers are both "soft dome" drivers. I have no clue what material makes up soft dome. Cloth or paper laminate ???

Just my two cents, but if you are patient you can find OEM replacements for these as others have mentioned...these speakers are worth it! Me personally? I wouldn't bastardize them with non OEM parts. There is always stuff out there to be had. I've seen some folks here find its just a broken wire and re-solder it. Maybe easier said than done but if its already dead you've got nothing to lose.:dunno:

Thanks all.. hooked the second one up.. only the mid works. Woofer frozen... Reasearching how to fix...listening to Infinity Qb s. ;) The journey begins so far, for the cost of a working pair of Cerwin Vega D-1s.

So I have cabs, 1 mid, 1 woofer, cross overs, L pads.

I feel kind of stupid but in the end I will be smarter.

Have you narrowed it down to the drivers itself?

I fixed a few tweeters. They voice coil wire typically breaks right where that black tape is on the diaphragm.
IMG_0909.JPG

If that's the reason, just peel one layer off. And scrape the coating off and solder. Just take your time. Hopefully you don't have fat finger syndrome.

If someone put to much power to them, I'd also checkout the pots. They tend to heat up and melt in a high wattage situation.

So I have cabs, 1 mid, 1 woofer, cross overs, L pads.

Yeah it does make it hard with non working old speakers sometimes, l know what you mean it is very cost prohibitive to buy MULTIPLE original used drivers to repair them. If the cabinets were in excellent condition and you could find the drivers for a very good price (unlikely) then it would be worth doing otherwise your other options are to persevere and try and fix the drivers or part out the remains.

If the woofer is frozen it is likely caused by the magnet shifting and jamming the voice coil. Here are a couple of links to my posts where l have fixed some woofers with the same symptom. The second link is where l repaired a voice coil on a Yamaha NS-344 tweeter. They may be of some help?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/b-o-beovox-4703-restoration-with-pics.745767/

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-ns-344-tweeter-repair.783357/

Get the original drivers. As indicated they come up now and then on various forums. Someone repaired a tweeter for me once but I managed to an orginal later. So the tweets are reparable - I recall seeing a thread here of someone repairing a tweeter for an NS 670.
Not sure about the mids - is the problem not in the crossover or a loose wire somewhere?

at this point I have managed to get 1 midrange going and 1 tweeter. I have 1 section of the magnet off the woofer. I feel confident I can get the woofer working but the tweeter seems to have a broken voice coil. So I will need a tweeter, not so sure about the L pads yet, 3 of them seem to work just fine, 1 has limited range.

What is the best technique for dropping this woofer magnet into place?

I'm sorry I don't know the thread but there is one with pics on how to shim everything up and align the magnet and voice coil...this can be done.
at this point I have managed to get 1 midrange going and 1 tweeter. I have 1 section of the magnet off the woofer. I feel confident I can get the woofer working but the tweeter seems to have a broken voice coil. So I will need a tweeter, not so sure about the L pads yet, 3 of them seem to work just fine, 1 has limited range.

What is the best technique for dropping this woofer magnet into place?

Back
Top Bottom