1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha NS 690

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by jojo0416, Oct 31, 2016.

1. jojo0416

jojo0416 aka Karipas

Hi reposting this from the speaker forum. I am looking for your tips in recapping these speakers. I did find the cap needed are 2.5uf, 3.5uf, 18uf and 33uf; polyp caps over e'lytics? Solen brand good enough or should I go for other brands?

BTW I was able to get the original pair of tweets, the Phillips are good but the oems are better to my ears.
    I would still want to recap these to get their full potential as my HPM still beats them in the details department.

The pots needs cleaning, how can I remove the plastics knobs? I am worried breaking the knobs if I forcefully pull it.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-ns-690.739674/#post-10027511

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dadix

dadix New Member

Very nice speakers .

3. belgianbrain

belgianbrain Super Member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    jojo0416 likes this.
  4. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Unless someone glued the knobs on. They should just pull off.

OnTheBlitz and jojo0416 like this.
  5. jojo0416

jojo0416 aka Karipas

Thanks Avionic! might give it a try one more time but they seem like they are really stuck.

Interesting links belgianbrain, I will peruse and pick the caps relative to my budget.
    I was originally looking for another brand of speakers but those speakers are hard to come by and therefore I ended up with the 690's
    Will ponder on the Mundorf the cap's total price point of $400++ will cost more than the value of the speakers....then my million dollar question to myself is "will they sound as good or even better than my targeted brand that is in the same ballpark of the 690s plus upgrade?" :D
    If ever it did not turn out well to my liking I will probably sell it a loss. Will keep you posted once I get the list selected.

BTW I just realized that searching for the exact values, brand and budget is a challenging task, where do you guys buy these caps?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  6. Jpete9

Jpete9 Active Member

I used jantzen crosscap. The OEM caps were miles out of spec. I bought an ESR meter to test and they were out in esr and capacitance. I couldnt find a 2.5 and used a 1 and 1.5 in parallel.

The improvement was actually pretty huge. Not in tone but in clarity.

Non OEM tweeters would be a significant change in the sound from original i imagine...used tweeters are available, check ebay.

jojo0416 likes this.

7. jojo0416

jojo0416 aka Karipas

I was actually checking on the Jantzens last night (same caps used in my HPM x'over upgrade) prices are half of the Mundorfs, thanks JPete9 for the tip connecting them in parallel. I totally forgot my basic electronics :biggrin:
    What I am planning to do now is create a table of different brands and prices.

I am not sure if I am asking the right question but let say I chose 2 different brands (Mundorf & Jantzen), which positions should I place the Mundorf (subjectively thinking they are the more superior caps); is it wise to focus on the mids and tweets drivers?...Or just go Jantzens all the way?.....for now until my next budget allocation for the Mundorfs. Haha

Hi, I made the table below, I guess I will go for the Jantzens for budget reason but please advise if 3.3µF in parallel with .22µF is a fine substitute for 3.5µF?
    Did I picked the correct parts before I place an order.

Actual Values Combination Brand
    2.5µF 1µF+1.5µF Mundorf supreme
    3.5µF 3.3µF+.22µF Mundorf ZN
    18µF 18µF Mundorf supreme
    33µF 33µF Mundorf MKP
    Total $ 370.00
    Actual Values Combination Brand
    2.5µF 1µF+1.5µF Jantzen Silver
    3.5µF 3.3µF+.22µF Jantzen Silver
    18µF 18µF Jantzen Metalized PP
    33µF 33µF Jantzen Metalized PP
    $ 234.98

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  8. belgianbrain

belgianbrain Super Member

Most people use 2.7 and 3.3 uF. It is close enough and will be closer to the design specs than what you take out!

You may have only paid $400 for the speakers now, but they are worth at least $2000 when comparing to anything new. Keep that perspective when deciding what to spend on the Caps. The speakers are worth it!

jojo0416 likes this.
  9. Jpete9

Jpete9 Active Member

Sorry i cant offer any electrical advice, i can only tell what i did. I did what i did based on the advise of others :)

I bought the ones i bought based on reviews (maybe the one linked above) and the advise of a guy who does this locally. He said, yes you might notice the difference if you double the price of the caps - but - they will be very hard to mount, some are double the size. Like most things audio, you will spend double for a small improvement...if i was doing it now i would probably make new crossovers or find a way of mounting the best ones. Only because i have decided to keep these forever...not because i think there is any deficiencies in what i have.

I'd be hunting for some OEM tweeters...

jojo0416 likes this.
  10. jojo0416

jojo0416 aka Karipas

Thank you belgianbrain and Jpete9 for your responses. 100Km drive + $30 I have this tweeters installed.
    They sound good stock and I already decided to keep these even though I have no use for extra speakers.
    I am certainly weighing in your inputs. I got the 690s by accident, I was on a hunt for bookshelf Paradigms studio 40 (only heard of the 20's and atoms btw) for my small living room for they will make a fine furniture too but came to a "make an offer" add the seller gave me a call after a buyer did not show up, he accepted my $250, had I noticed that the tweets are wrong, I could have done better,the seller is moving to Australia, I am sure he will miss his speakers :) and because I had good bargain I can put extra money on it.

Belginabrain, I am hoping you have heard a studio 40 and probably an unfair question but since I've decided to keep the 690s will this blow the studio 40's away at least in vocals department? I was asking because the 690s are a bit large in my living room and therefore will stay with my secondary setup which I use more often, but if this is a better choice than the studio 40 then the more I will use the better caps since I am still below my budget on the speakers and only if I am able to convince my wife to allow me place the 690's on our living room. :D

Jpete9 and belgianbrain, do you still have the cap types and list of your build? I have the same concern on the mounting, I might be picking up the wrong dimensional sizes hence my question above on the cap selection.

11. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Are those silver cans Yamaha used in the crossovers bad, by now? They sure look cool, points to Yamaha for not using electrolytics in their design.

12. Jpete9

Jpete9 Active Member

Not sure i understand the first bit - did you say you bought some new original tweeters? Sorry, i am no help in comparing them to other brands.

These are the caps i bought, the last 2 were installed in parallel. I used a hot glue gun to glue a couple together with just a small amount of glue.

Jantzen Cross Cap
    2x 33uF (001-0278)
    2x 18uF (001-0270)
    2x 3.6uF (001-0244)
    2x 1.5uF (001-0236)
    2x 1uF (001-0230)

I got them from http://speakerbug.com.au

13. jojo0416

jojo0416 aka Karipas

Hi Jpete9, I did not mean to confuse, yes I was able to buy the original tweeters. When I purchased the NS 690s I did not realized that it has the wrong tweeters (Phillips-black housing), a few days later I found someone selling the original tweets coming from an NS 670, I felt bad for those speakers because the cabs where in good shape and it was being sold for donor parts due to a busted woofer. Seller knew the going rate on the bay but gave me a good deal.

Thanks for the cap list! :)

14. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

NS 690 is a great speaker. I use mine stock standard and enjoy the clean musical sound with my Yamaha AS 500 amplifier in a second system. I have just connected my PC to that system and find myself spending more time listening to them. Its amazing how the speakers cope with the FLAC files eventhough digital format music was not even thought of when these speakers were designed and manufactured. Had the XO's checked by speaker tech who said the caps were all OK and in spec so never made any changes.

jojo0416 likes this.
  15. Jpete9

Jpete9 Active Member

Most important test of all, you enjoy listening to them :)

jojo0416 likes this.
  16. jojo0416

jojo0416 aka Karipas

So I was listening to my speakers and experimented on it yesterday. I found that the HPM100s and NS690 in my system compliments each other. The HPM's covers the higher (it has super tweeters) and lower frequencies (deep bass) and the NS690 strengths are in the mids and sweet highs (not fatiguing).
    I connected the HPM to my 60 watts amp while the NS690 on my 165 watts amp. When I turned off the speaker switches on the amps to AB the speakers I was able to understand each speaker's strength and weakness. Note the HPM is not playing as loud as the NS690 because they have different sensitivities and amp rating.

I was able to convince my wife to get the studio 40's too, but that's another story if I am lucky to get the speakers this week then the caps upgrade will be pushed out a bit either Dec or January.

17. avionic

I need to get my 690 woofer fixed...Soon!:biggrin:

OnTheBlitz, jojo0416 and Jpete9 like this.
  18. avionic

I take it. You were able to remove the knobs.

OnTheBlitz and jojo0416 like this.
  19. jojo0416

jojo0416 aka Karipas

Yes Avionic...I was able to remove the knobs, my fingers were sore after.
    Update, I was really lucky in getting the Paradigm studio 40's v3 yesterday complete with boxes and A+ condition, the downside is recapping is pushed out as the budget went into the new speakers, but that is a nice problem to have.

20. Electone

Electone Well-Known Member

Are these caps all polarized or non-polarized? Now my interest is piqued.