Yamaha NS2000 Surrounds

That's weird ... why does that structure look like that of a cloth surround?

My new surround runs only into the v-shaped crease ... that's it. This one kinda wraps back around toward the center and voice coil.

Denis,
It certainly does look like a cloth surround, and the sound was reported to different from foam.
It was said that Yamaha in Japan replaced the foam with cloth surrounds on the JA3301, I'm talking about 20 years ago

NS2000 clones for sale on ebay recently, a little bit of a rough job with the JA3301's, with the glue on the surrounds.

Last edited:
Rough indeed, but I'd be more concerned about the housing (?)
Why build NS-2000 clones and not just part out the pieces which could bring in some cash as well... ?

It would be interesting excercise to listen to a foam vrs cloth surrounds to see what subtle changes were introduced, do you think the cone resonance freq would be lower with foam ?

Yes it is true I have just purchased a mint pair of Yamaha NS-1000X's, it was a private sale in Melbourne, Australia. The woofer surround on the NS-1000X's is fabric just like on the NS-1000's. I just wish Yamaha put fabric surrounds on the Yamaha NS-2000'S.

Onkyo 1985 must have thought the Yamaha NS2000 design was a good thing, no carbon though

Last edited:
What the heck

Yes indeed! :tresbon:

My B-2 is hoping to someday meet a pair of these ... but to date my budget can't afford them ... maybe I need to go back to college. :scratch2: :D

attachment.php

A: Has anyone seen my NS-2000?
B: Yeah...I think you left it at the Vatican
A: Doy! Of course...silly me.

Stands

attachment.php
These stands look good and complement the NSX10000,I'd get something like this manufactured if I was starting out with a pair of NS2000's

Yeah I've seen those for sale here in Japan.

Eye watering expensive.

The prices for quality speaker stands is mind blowing here.

The OEM versions of stands for vintage stuff is hard to find, cheap to ship, and can take a relative rough ride in transit without losing value.

Its the vintage gear seller trifecta, which results in insanely high prices.

Last edited:
Onkyo 1985 must have thought the Yamaha NS2000 design was a good thing, no carbon though

That is not quite accurate ....

If you refer to my post #21 on this thread, you'll see that I own (or rather used to own :tears: ) a pair of Onkyo SC-1500, which is the European equivalent to the Onkyo Monitor 2000X that was being sold in Asia at the time. The only difference is the wooden enclosure, which is much more extravagant in the Monitor 2000X, amounting to a surplus of about 3kg in net weight (Monitor 2000X - 43kg, SC-1500 - 40kg). The drivers, crossover and internal bracing were identical!

The Bass is a 13" Carbon Fiber Woofer, while the mids and highs are made of pure magnesium. I compared my Onkyo SC-1500 to the Yamaha NS-2000 and I have to tell you that sound-wise, there is only an ever so slight notable difference in the mids (which are just plain better in the NS-2000) and bass (which is much more present (better?) in the Onkyo SC-1500). If you can get your hands on a pair of the Onkyo's (which are usually a lot cheaper to be had than the Yamaha), then please do so. They're all the speaker you will ever need, and for a lot of you probably better suited than the NS-2000 as they are not as harsh, more forgiving, and make most any JBL Speaker look outdated!

Yes the design was a pure 1:1 copy of the NS-2000.

A comparison of the two speakers that I've composed can be found here (sadly in German, I can translate for anyone who is interested): http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-84-24042.html

Lastly, if you think the NS-10000X are impressive, google: Onkyo Scepter 5001 :thmbsp::D

Last edited:
Thankyou Denis for correcting me, you're a mine of information.

Onyko made some very good stuff

Last edited:
[QUOTE=
Yeah...I think you left it at the Vatican

I've looked at that picture many times and wondered where it was shot.

Hi Yamaha fans I also bought a mint pair of NS-2000 from HiFiDo just before Christmas 2014.

Fantastic speakers - I have a pair of speaker stands built by a local craftsman similar in design to the original stands yamaha made for the NSX-10000. The final colour is almost identical to the NS-2000 finish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 37
Yamaha NS-2000

My NS-2000 on the stands

Some now sold Zu Soul Superflys behind
and my magnificent Sony SS-G7a which are in my opinion in a similar league as the NS-2000.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 50
Hi Yamaha fans I also bought a mint pair of NS-2000 from HiFiDo just before Christmas 2014.

Fantastic speakers - I have a pair of speaker stands built by a local craftsman similar in design to the original stands yamaha made for the NSX-10000. The final colour is almost identical to the NS-2000 finish.

Very, very nice !

The benefit and appearance of well designed speaker stands are well known especially as the benefit of in tightening up the bottom end and with reducing introduced vibration.
I tried the NS2000’s on spikes on the wooden floor it helped enormously with vibration from the wooden floor boards and doors
The NS2000’s are now on a concrete slab with carpet and vibration is less of a issue, but be careful of spilt liquid around those speakers or if you have the carpet cleaned whereby moisture could find its way under the speakers and lift that veneer

Back
Top Bottom