Yamaha P2050 Repaired

smartin53

Well I decided to venture outside of my usual realm again and found a cheap P2050 amp in need of repair. It was being sold as having a broken power switch and no sound on the B channel.

Turns out it was a simple fix in both cases. The power switch is actually fine but the mechanism has broken into 3 parts. I'm using some JB Weld to fix that but have to wait for it to cure before reassembling the switch. As for the audio channel one of the wires connecting to the level pot simply had become detached at the solder joint. Once I reattached it both channels work fine again. Since I was in there I also threw in some new 220uf caps to replace the existing ones for good measure.

The unit sounds good and will make for a nice spare amp for various projects or oddball setups. Gotta get some XLR to RCA adapters to allow easy connection to standard equipment though as it only has unbalanced XLR and Phone jack inputs.

IMG_7453.jpg IMG_7457.jpg

Last edited:
Well safely can report all still works well. Only "issue" is how the switch mechanism functions. I can get it to power on just fine but the switch seems off somehow. How were these switches on the professional series supposed to work exactly? I press it down and it turns on, lift up and it turns off.

I feel like it's not supposed to require a physical lift to shut it off though but another simple press on the switch again. Press on, press off. Anyone with experience have any thoughts?

That's the way the power switch on my P2200 works: push down for "on", the push down again for "off".

Back
Top Bottom