Yamaha P2200 in Bridge mode?

giovanni

Hello,

I would like to use my Yamaha P2200 in bridge mode. Trying to find info on line but I cant seem to find anywhere it says I can do this with this amp.

Wondering if anybody here has experience with this amp, and how I can go about doing it right, without damaging anything.

Thanks

Thank you!.

When I read through that portion of the manual, it talks about setting the 2 "Polarity Switches" opposite each other (one on each channel).

Does it matter which side they are set to (as long as they are opposite each other).

Also, it mentions the amp is capable of 400 Watts into 16 Ohms (when bridged). It does not talk about 8 Ohms. Would I be harming it to use my 8 Ohms speakers when in bridge mode?

Last edited:
When I read through that portion of the manual, it talks about setting the 2 "Polarity Switches" opposite each other (one on each channel).

Does it matter which side they are set to (as long as they are opposite each other).

Also, it mentions the amp is capable of 400 Watts into 16 Ohms (when bridged). It does not talk about 8 Ohms. Would I be harming it to use my 8 Ohms speakers when in bridge mode?

I use my C-80 Yamaha preamp to create the opposite polarity outputs into the amps. Not sure how it's even done using the amps themselves. Most 8-ohm (nominal) speakers should work fine. The graph in the manual shows the P2200/P2201 as being capable of about 700wpc into 8-ohms. I would not go much lower impedance than that though. The amp sees half of the speaker impedance when it's bridged. If you are running a 16-ohm (nominal) speaker, it sees that as an 8-ohm (nominal) load. If you are running an 8-ohm (nominal) speaker, it sees that as a (nominal) 4-ohm load - approaching borderline in terms of what it can safely handle. Keep in mind that the listed impedance of a speaker is usually the nominal impedance - an average. My 8-ohm (nominal) JBL speakers for example have a minimum impedance of 5.7 ohms at the lowest point in their impedance curve. Bridged, that would look like 2.85 ohms to a P2200/P2201 amp. The P2200/P2201 amps have a current limiter built-in that comes into play around 2.5-ohms so you can see how a 2.85-ohms minimum is already about as close as you would ever want to get. Most speakers with a 6 or 4-ohm nominal impedance would probably have a minimum below 2.5-ohms; some 8-ohm nominal impedance speakers might cross that line also.

Hello,

I would like to use my Yamaha P2200 in bridge mode. Trying to find info on line but I cant seem to find anywhere it says I can do this with this amp.

Wondering if anybody here has experience with this amp, and how I can go about doing it right, without damaging anything.

Thanks
Hey goivanni I have the original shop manual for the P-2200 it shows a values and part numbers for that amp. I happen to own 3 of these amps.

Back
Top Bottom