Yamaha PF-800 Arm/Cartridge Thoughts, Ideas and Recommendations

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked up and interesting oddball recently. One that I think has a lot of potential. It's a lovely Yamaha PF-800, with the funky twin tube arm. I've spoken to some folks about it, read what I can, and Yamahas marketing aside, I really think the arm would do best with a lighter weight, higher compliance MM cartridge. Those folks who were more Meh! about it, seemed to have been trying it with lower compliance MC cartridges, which Yamahas propaganda seemed to support, but I'm thinking might be a bad move. Of course, Yamaha gave very little in the way of measurements with it.

Further, I think this table falls more to the big, flamboyant, technicolor side, and trying to undo it, seems like a wasted effort. So my thinking is go with what it does best, match a bigger, warmer, over the top luscious sounding cartridge, and just have fun with it. Cue up ELO's Concerto for a Rainy Day, and fill your room with over the top fun.

So what cartridge?
A better Grado?
A Grace F9e?
Nagaoka MP-500

Thoughts?

In case anyone is wondering what it looks like:

YAMAHA-PF-800-turntable-1.jpg

I always ran mine with medium compliance MC's (like the classic AT OC9 II) and thought it was a good match. But that's only my experience and what you are proposing sounds great as well. I guess this gets into a turntable school of thought kind of discussion. Do you add two components with similar sounds (warm plus warm) to really highlight that sort of characteristic, or do you pick opposing forces (warm plus analytical) hoping they balance out?

jblnut

The Grace with the SS ruby cantilever fine line, One of my tables is a PF1000 and I have been using a Sony MC cart on it which for a MC cart pretty high compliance. The PF tables were Yamaha's answer to compete with the SOTA's and Linns.

The Yamaha PF-800/1000 were originally shipped with the Yamaha MC-705 an Audio Technica AT 3100x cartridge variant in some areas.

Very well matched. :thumbsup:

I always ran mine with medium compliance MC's (like the classic AT OC9 II) and thought it was a good match. But that's only my experience and what you are proposing sounds great as well. I guess this gets into a turntable school of thought kind of discussion. Do you add two components with similar sounds (warm plus warm) to really highlight that sort of characteristic, or do you pick opposing forces (warm plus analytical) hoping they balance out?

jblnut

I'd suggest it's more a matter of going with what you got and picking supporting components that work with its strengths, rather then trying to turn it into something it isn't.

AT-150mlx...from height to weight to compliance, it's just a perfect fit. I had a 2M Bronze on it before the 150mlx but not even close. I've been trying out my AT33ptg/ii for a month or so and it's good but I may end up putting the 150mlx back on it at some point. Get a 150mlx and put on The Pet Shop Boys - Please or Depeche Mode's Music for the Masses and you will understand exactly what I mean.

So my thinking is go with what it does best, match a bigger, warmer, over the top luscious sounding cartridge, and just have fun with it.

If you're looking for luscious sounding then go with Benz, they have a midrange to die for with excellent bass and smooth treble, if you like Nagaoka and Grado then the Benz should be right in your wheel house.

If you're looking for luscious sounding then go with Benz, they have a midrange to die for with excellent bass and smooth treble, if you like Nagaoka and Grado then the Benz should be right in your wheel house.

Which Benz did you have in mind?

AT-150mlx...from height to weight to compliance, it's just a perfect fit. I had a 2M Bronze on it before the 150mlx but not even close. I've been trying out my AT33ptg/ii for a month or so and it's good but I may end up putting the 150mlx back on it at some point. Get a 150mlx and put on The Pet Shop Boys - Please or Depeche Mode's Music for the Masses and you will understand exactly what I mean.

It's actually wearing a 2M Bronze right now, which seems a little cold and thin for it. So, what would the AT give me? Either one, actually.

Which Benz did you have in mind?

I had a Micro Ace S as it had 90% of the sound of the Glider, could have got a good SH Glider but couldn't get past the fear associated with the cantilever sitting out in the open, but if you can handle that the Glider is slightly better, and of course the more expensive models are better again but getting up to the point of diminishing returns.

Last edited:
It's actually wearing a 2M Bronze right now, which seems a little cold and thin for it. So, what would the AT give me? Either one, actually.

That's exactly how I felt about the Bronze...then I slapped on the AT and it seemed to do everything the Bronze couldnt: warmth, detail, depth, a nice low end and far better performance in the inner groove.

That's exactly how I felt about the Bronze...then I slapped on the AT and it seemed to do everything the Bronze couldnt: warmth, detail, depth, a nice low end and far better performance in the inner groove.

I'm surprised that the oh so picky AT-150 actually likes the PF-800. What phono preamp are you running?

I had a Micro Ace S as it had 90% of the sound of the Glider, could have got a good SH Glider but couldn't get past the fear associated with the cantilever sitting out in the open, but if you can handle that the Glider is slightly better, and of course the more expensive models are better again but getting up to the point of diminishing returns.

Those naked cantilevers are scary indeed. I'd pass on that too.

Damn. That's some nice veneer work. Is that yours?

Yes, it's mine. Thanks

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Speaking of scary cantilevers, I have an AT OC9 II and the cantilever on that is so thin it makes me nervous. Maybe I should try it on the PF-800 and see how it does.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom