Yamaha PF-800 motor noise and oiling

stopkidding

I have the PF-800 turntable and I absolutely love it. I have had it for 4 years. It looks and sounds fantastic. Lately I have been thinking about doing some routine maintenance to ensure its running in tip top shape. Of the serviceable parts, I wanted to look at the motor and maybe oil it.

While the turntable has no audible motor noise or hum coming through the speakers, I can hear the motor "whirring" when I get about 2-4 inches from the motor. None of it makes it through the belt, platter and into the speakers.

My question is, how do I oil this motor? Does it even need it? is leaving it along the best thing to do? last thing I want is to mess up a motor for which there would be no obvious replacements!

appreciate any insight or experience with this turntable.

I have seen the service manual. It says nothing about the motor or oiling or any maintenance procedure. You would think the Yamaha motorcycle division would have shared some scheduled maintenance ideas :p
I know.. Your going to have to pioneer the project. The manual is to help put it back together..:p:biggrin:

How is the queue drop on yours? Fast or slow? I needed to put some 100,000 weight silicone oil on the dampener to slow it down.

How is the queue drop on yours? Fast or slow? I needed to put some 100,000 weight silicone oil on the dampener to slow it down.

Queue drop is just fine, nice even pace, lands softly. Everything works great. which is driving me nuts! :p

Queue drop is just fine, nice even pace, lands softly. Everything works great. which is driving me nuts! :p

Here is the picture. I added 2 drops of sewing machine oil at the bottom of the shaft. I don't know if it seeped eventually. I let it run for a couple of hours. I dont know it it made the motor run smoother, though I may be "perceiving" slightly reduced motor noise. Still no audible change to what is coming out of the speakers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mr8HVevx7yhgFkD87

mVEQSo55S4c3yp6SA

mVEQSo55S4c3yp6SA

Last edited:
At the bottom of the shaft? In my machines this part is covered. Did you add the oil at the top of the spindle just below the pulley?

I would be better to see the motor out the "gummy housing" . If you can open it , you will be able to place some oil drop at the right place and then rebuilt the ass'y to use the motor again tosee if there is any improvement or not.

Back
Top Bottom