Yamaha / PSB? Good match?

VINTAGEO

Newbie in New B.
I have some power hungry Psb stratus minis and silvers and c-6 center all in piano black!
I was wondering if my lightly used Yamaha RX-V995 would be a good match for them?
Any opinions? The Yammies is good to 2 ohms @ 200p wpc 4 ohms @ 130

When I was in retail I sold a ton of PSB/Yamaha systems in the lower price ranges. Nice match, the Yamaha did not have the fullness of sound of a HK but the PSB was on the warm side so it worked well and gave great results for the money. The Stratus Mini came along after my day, I only had the original Stratus, but I know it is a well regarded speaker and quite a bit more revealing than the entry level models that made up the bulk of my PSB sales. At one point I picked up a Yamaha RX-V995 or something very similar to use as a back up amp while my main gear was being repaired. It might have enough power for the Minis but I was not very impressed with the sound quality. My advice would be give it a try and see if you like it but you may find those speakers deserve something better. If you do like the match, ignore everything I have written and enjoy!

The Yamaha would probably work ok but not great. The Stratus series is power hungry and a true 4 ohm load. The Yamaha would probably shut down at higher volumes or start to sound thin and strained. The power specs you stated for the RX-V995 are dynamic power ratings. Not continuous power ratings. It can only do that number for a split second. I would be looking at an external amp since you have pre-outs on all channels.

From the RX-V995 manual -

Dynamic Power Per Channel
(by IHF Dynamic Headroom Measuring Method)
[U.S.A., Canada, China and General models
only]
MAIN L/R (8 ohms/6 ohms/4 ohms/2 ohms)
(When both channels are driven)
...............................130W/160W/200W/240W

I've actually decided to go another route, I am going to sell the psbs and Yamaha, so 've the yammie is a bit dated and the psbs are so fussy,
I have a nice JVC digifine series stack paired with JBL L100Ts And am going to continue using my sony avr with smaller surround speakers (paradjgm) and a psb sub for movies and gaming.

I've actually decided to go another route, I am going to sell the psbs and Yamaha, so 've the yammie is a bit dated and the psbs are so fussy,
I have a nice JVC digifine series stack paired with JBL L100Ts And am going to continue using my sony avr with smaller surround speakers (paradjgm) and a psb sub for movies and gaming.
You might think twice about the selling the PSB's. The Stratus series are some of the best speakers PSB made. They just like a good amp that's all. Well worth keeping IMO and finding a cheap external amp and watch how they open up.

20170214_135803 (1).jpg image-20170204_170705.jpg 20170214_135750.jpg 20170523_181709.jpg
You might think twice about the selling the PSB's. The Stratus series are some of the best speakers PSB made. They just like a good amp that's all. Well worth keeping IMO and finding a cheap external amp and watch how they open up.

I'll definitely consider it, :)
Problem is I have so much gear here, I have to start unloading some of it!
I would want a high power avr? or I also have a big Yamaha MX-1000U and CX-1000 U, How can I make that run a 5.1 setup? I also have a Yamaha DSP-300 processor that I know nothing about...
I know that amp has the balls to push those PSBs! :D

Last edited:
I would use the MX 1000u with the Rx-v995 to drive the Mini's and let the receiver drive the center for now and see if it can be crossed over at 80-100hz to help the receiver drive the center better. Use efficient surrounds with the receiver and you should be good to go.
Maybe try and find a better amp for center but this should help quite a bit instead of the other scenario.

I would skip the dsp300 entirely as it looks way out of date and only designed for Dolby Surround and not 5.1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom