Yamaha PX-3 tonearm lift damping

Dr. Ear

Just got my "new" PX-3 turntable. It is in a gorgeous shape, really like new and it works (almost) perfectly. My only complaint is the non working damping of the arm lift. It goes up and down so fast that it might harm the AT150MLX stylus. I just need to know where to fill new silicon in. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 25
Thank you. In the meanwhile I have fixed it. The damping cylinder is not so hard to remove. There are two screws accessible from the top that hold the cylinder. I filled it with 100.000 silicone oil which proved to be the perfect choice for this one as well as for the lift of my PF-800. I also cleaned the tonearm drive mechanism, adjusted the belt tension and replaced the 3 small rubber drive belts. This is a really nice turntable.

Last edited:
Could post a link of the oil? I have 2 PX3's and 1 PX2. The PX2 is very quick on the dampening and may need the oil.

I ordered AK100.000 silicone oil in Germany from "silikon-profis.de". Unfortunately they don't have an English website. There is a contact form which you might use. If you want it slower you can also use AK 200.000 oil.
I have ordered 100g which is enough for all the turntables that might come.

Thanks for this thread. My second px-3 drops the arm so slowly it starts advancing the arm on the way down. I'm betting replacing the damping fluid and speeding up the drop will fix it, got some 100k silicon diff ordered and will report back if it works.

Back
Top Bottom