Yamaha R 2000, Save????

jacks son

Hello,

A buddy of mine and I stoped at an old appliance store today because they used to sell stereo equipt. After a walk to the back room my freind spied a Yamaha R2000 reciever and bought it for $10.00. After taking it home we found the pre/ main jumpers missing and used RCA cables as jumpers ( I don't know if this is kosher ) and the unit lit up and after a few seconds came out of protection and appeared to work as the tuner locked on a station. Sadly, we could not get any sound out of the unit with any of the inputs. After reading the specs and some posts about this reciever I am tempted to advise my friend to have the unit repaired as he has been looking for a more powerful unit than his current Pioneer SX780 and these R2000's are also known for great tuners. If any of you Yamaha guys could give me some info/ insight into this model I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jacks son :D

I don't think you need to add jumpers to that for it to function, they're jumped internally if they're like the R900. Make sure you're not mistakenly using the tape out selector instead of the source selector, I think it has both. If it has tape monitor buttons make sure they're out. Don't mean any insult but sometimes it's easy to overlook simple fixes, done it many times myself. So, unplug your patch cable and try the other ideas, hope you get it running, 150wpc and a decent tuner.
http://akdatabase.org/AKview/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=159

turn the volume down... press the pre out/main in button on the front panel and try again. (it's under preset #1)

I have an r2000 I am dying to get back on the road. If you're thinking of tossing it or something I'd like a couple of parts off it.
The power amp section on this amp is a bit finicky on speaker impedance, you have any difficult loads and it will burn up the thing.

Cool.
Srinath.

Don't toss it ! The R2000 and its little brother, the R1000 used the "X Power Supply." Basically, when the listening level demanded additional power, the power supply would switch to a higher voltage B+ rail for a short period of time.

They are challenging to work on, the Tuner is a stone bit*h to repair but when working, do quite well.

Yamaha used to supply shorting plugs which were intended to be inserted in unused, 2nd phono inputs to increase the S/N ratio on PHONO 1 when only it was in use. I "repaired" many CR400 -> R2000's right on the front counter after finding the shorting plugs were mistakenly plugged into a "Tape Out" jack. That kills the channel(s).

When Yamaha was still having its 3 day schools, that design took up one of the three days say..... circa 1981. If you have trouble with it, drop me a PM and I'll check a manual. If its a mis-placed shorting plug is not the issue but in the amp is NOT in protection, there is a good chance it can be fixed. If its in protection, thats a whole different kettle of fish. F'instance, the voltage amp IC's (STK3156? from memory) have not been available for some time.

Best

Snagged a rebuild kit

Hey man (AV svc labs), you told me many moons ago about the r2000 factory issue repair and upgrade kit ...
And I snagged one from NOS on the bay.

I'll let you know how it goes soon.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hey man (AV svc labs), you told me many moons ago about the r2000 factory issue repair and upgrade kit ...
And I snagged one from NOS on the bay.

I'll let you know how it goes soon.
Cool.
Srinath.

Interesting... I'd like to know the results too!

Got the kit, nothing done with it yet. Sorry, may be another month, 3 big HT amps and 2 sets of speakers before this guy ... sorry.
But I wil lpost.
Cool.
srinath.

LOL, 2 years later, I have realized I have not got much smarter.
The kit is here, the amp is here, the loose parts I pulled off are there (the top cover is awol for now, but I am in good shape - well ... as soon as I get smarter.

I'll put a pic of what the packing list for the kit looked like - and you guys can decide if I am lost or ....
Cool.
Srinath.

I dont remember what was in the kit. But I do remember that the amp didn't work after I swapped it and I sold it still dead. I am trying to pick up my train of thought from back then.

Back
Top Bottom