Yamaha R-3 Natural Sound

Aesthetikz

Hello!
New here... But, Hope to contribute what i can, As well as learn as much as i can. :music:

I have an (80's?) Yamaha Natural Sound R-3 Receiver that had a hard life before i got it.

It's been functionally working just fine for several weeks, With only a little bit of scratchy distortion when using some of the front controls.

Today i powered it up and it (seemed) to not do anything, But i heard the relay click...
I tried the Inputs and it turns out I get sound just fine from CD and AUX but, The Tuner and Front Panel Lights/LCD/LEDS + Tuner related buttons seem to be completely dead now?
All the non-tuner related front panel controls seems to work just fine still...

I've prodded around for loose connections and cold solders, Found nothing related to that problem~But found that the Input Selector seems to be touchy (Resoldered it, Stays the same~Internal). Almost positive its unrelated to the tuner problem though.

Nothing physically looks damaged inside, I'm clueless at this point...

Any ideas as to whats wrong with the Tuner and Display? Worth fixing?

Maybe a supply voltage is missing. You'll need a service manual to chase the problem.

I did also forget to add:
That the Display/Tuner malfunction also did not occur until after had opened it up and brushed (Very fine artists brush) out the extreme amount of dust balls and build up followed by compressed air blow-out.
The unit was un-plugged during this clean out.

I've checked and checked again to make sure i did not knock anything loose, And i'm not finding anything at all visibly out of the ordinary.

Everything on the unit still seems to work except the AM/FM Tuner and Front Panel Display Lights (Mostly AM/FM Tuner Related).

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for or test? I'm no expert~But i'm very capable with guidance.
The sound this tuner puts out is so clear and nice, Would love to have it working again.

It's alive!

Inspected the solders on the back very closely once again, but this time found a broken connection~Soldered in a bridge and she's got radio again. :thmbsp:

Now I've just got to figure out if i can do anything about the "INPUT SELECTOR" switch, As it seems to be an internal problem with the switch.
I do not have an "Deox-It" and actually had not heard of that before i signed up here. Is there anywhere besides online that i might be ableto find some of this~RS perhaps?

The RS near me carries deoxit. I've tried Guitar Center near here and they looked at me funny when I said "Deoxit" ... :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom