Yamaha R-300

YLeeCoyte

Hi all, I am new to AUDIOKARMA and have a question regarding my vintage R-300 receiver. I bought this a couple of years ago on eBay. I started getting back into vinyl and wanted an old school receiver with a phono input. I just love the simplicity of it and the warm sound it puts out.
The problem that has just developed is the input selector switch (AM,FM,Phono and Aux) has started to be somewhat goofy. When I switch to different inputs I lose either lose one channel or its scratchy. I can tweak the switch to get it to workproperly and get full audio.
Can anyone tell me if the switch just needs to be cleaned or does it need to be replaced and if so, can it be replaced. Thanks for any help anyone is willing to give.

Cleaning the switch should rectify the intermittent connection. Lots of info here on AK.

Yes, I cleaned up a R-300 or 500 for a friend and it made a big difference, back to working properly. Used zero residue cleaner then some cleaner/lube.

If there is still an issue after cleaning you can look at going further but start there.

Thank you so much. When you said you used zero residue cleaner and cleaner lube, any specific brand and where would I get it. Thanks

Many swear by Caig DeoxIT but I use MG Chemicals products since that is what is easily available around here and they work fine.

I had an R300 that would only play a bit of crackly sound out of one channel the selector had gotten so dirty. I use Peavey Silent Slider which does have lubricant in it but seems to work great on just about everything.
I spritzed a small amount in the selector, worked it back and forth a bunch of times and it worked just fine. It's been at a friends house in use daily for over three years now so I'd give a big thumbs up to that product.

I don't remember why I bought that instead of deoxit but it's been my go to for years now. Great stuff. Glad it worked out for you.

Back
Top Bottom