Yamaha R-9 market question

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by 41woodie, Mar 7, 2017.

1. 41woodie

41woodie New Member

I'm currently listening to the Rotel RX-400A that I bought new back in the 70's slowly die and am looking around for a suitable replacement. I've noticed that Yamaha R-9 aren't bringing much money. The only con that I've seen in searching for info is that they run hot when in Class A mode. Most owners rave about them and former owners regret selling them.
    The only reason that I can see for the modest prices is that they don't have wooden cabinets which is nice but if I'm listening to it with my back turned I don't notice the plastic. Is there something I'm missing the R-9s seem like a lot of power and sound for the bucks, any thoughts?

2. KR7600

KR7600 Well-Known Member

I have 3 R9's. 2 that I bought new in 1986 and one I just bought from eBay. The last one was upgraded. I have been listen to one for 31 years. It has enough power to drive my infinity quantum 2's to a really loud level. I paid 500 for the last one. New they were 600 dollars. If you can find a nice one with the remote for 150, I would buy it.

3. 41woodie

41woodie New Member

If you don't mind, what upgrades were made

4. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

The R-9 had some nice things going for it such as the Class A mode but total weight was about 26 pounds. Compare that to the 46 pound CR-2040 from a few years earlier or the 40+ pound AVRs that came after. It is literally a lightweight in the TOTL receiver class. Not saying it is not a good unit, but that is my guess as to why they don't go for big bucks.

5. motorstereo

motorstereo the wonder of it all Subscriber

I've owned a couple R9's over the years and I think their resemblance to bpc is the reason they get overlooked. Now if that face was silver with a few knobs and switches sticking out to twiddle with then it would be a safe bet R9's would be getting the attention they deserve.

6. 41woodie

41woodie New Member

Motorstereo, that's along the same line I am thinking. They don't "look vintage" and while I like that look, I can't hear that look. My main concern was that there was a known problem with the goodies inside the case that I needed to be aware of when shopping.

7. motorstereo

motorstereo the wonder of it all Subscriber

The only thing that was wrong with one was the station memory battery died and it wouldn't remember the presets. Imo they're pretty decent units and the class a mode still worked on both of mine to.

8. Aspen

Aspen Active Member

The R-9 is light because the heat sink is thin aluminum sheet instead of something more substantial. Big weight saving there. They do run hot in Class A mode, but are fine in A/B.
    The presets use a super cap not a battery, so it's more involved to replace. As long as you don't turn the unit off by the power switch, it remains on standby and the presets will remain in memory.
    The case is aluminum not plastic, it looks more downscale than it actually is. There are some plastic hinges for the front panel that tend to break.
    I bought mine with the remote for $145 Cdn 2 years ago and it has been working well. It has the dreaded glue, which I really should clean out and replace a couple of iffy looking resistors. The super cap is done for as well.
    The tuner sounds wonderful and I would definitely recommend it.

9. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice unit at a great price, well done. But that is definitely much less than older TOTL units such as the CR-1000/2020/2040 bring this side of the boder.