Yamaha R-900 problem

opossumcrush

The Central Scrutinizer
My Yamaha R-900 has a problem. I'll turn it on, I don't heard the relay click. It will play for about 5 seconds and then stop. All the lights are still on. Anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

Check and make sure your speaker wires are not shorting together.Otherwise you probably have a bad output module .

Very possibly the V-amp.

Avionic, I am not where my manuals are, but I recall the R-900 as having have those output boards, not modules. The 700 had STK outputs, but not the 900.

Am I hallucinating?

BTW, if the 900 IS as I remember, never, ever try to troubleshoot one by running the amp without the output boards installed. It's instant death.

I had trouble with my LXI receiver doing just that......i noticed the STK V-Amp had no heatsink and was geting very hot.....i rummaged round and found a heatsink that would fit......fitted it, and the amp will run all day long with no cut-outs......

Yeah, a lot of people believed Sanyo when they said, "Not need heat sink."

Now that I reread this, I'm confused about something else too. If the unit doesn't come out of protection, how can it play for five seconds?

AFAIK the 900 does have STK outputs, just higher power than the 700. It is the 1000 and 2000 that have the Sanken power amp boards.

Doesn't this one require (or benefit from) installing the 100uF caps into the shunt legs of the NFB loop?.

Hated the IGOxxxxxx STK V-Amps. *poof* $50. hard to stock enough.

My mistake, it does come out of protection. and then shuts off a few seconds later. It will set for about 15 mins, and do the same thing. No touching speaker wires, I'm using pin connectors. I've tried two different sets of speakers.

Sounds like you have a device that is not thermally stable..Could be one of the power packs or a number other things.Like a power regulator for the module.May need some freeze mist to locate the offending component.

I believe the offending part will the the V amp. Those things don't require any support circuitry to be bad to show a problem. They fail all by themselves.

Might be also helpful to clean or replace the relay. Could cause these problems.

If it is right from the start, even if it's in a cold state, then it shouldn't be a thermal prob.

Thanks, Merrylander. It's been a while since I had one of those apart. Stuff can get jumbled in the old brain after 20 years (WHOOSH! "What was that?" "That was your life, mate.")!

Possum, it's almost certainly the V-amp. I would start by changing that, and if it does not already have a couple of 50-100 uF caps soldered to the bottom of the board, there's a DC mod that needs to be done to it, as well. We can help, once you get to that stage.

Back
Top Bottom