Yamaha R9 "scratching" problem

FrankE

i have a great Yamaha R9 receiver/amplifier, ca. 1985. I use it to drive 3 sets of speakers, family room, kitchen, outdoors. I can switch them on as needed from the front panel. I would hate to give up the R9 because of its great sound and 3 speaker control. However, in particular if the volume is turned up a bit, there suddenly appears every now and then a very loud and annoying "scratching" noise. Is this something I can fix or get fixed with reasonable effort and cost? Thanks in advance!

i have a great Yamaha R9 receiver/amplifier, ca. 1985. I use it to drive 3 sets of speakers, family room, kitchen, outdoors. I can switch them on as needed from the front panel. I would hate to give up the R9 because of its great sound and 3 speaker control. However, in particular if the volume is turned up a bit, there suddenly appears every now and then a very loud and annoying "scratching" noise. Is this something I can fix or get fixed with reasonable effort and cost? Thanks in advance!
sounds like she could use a good deoxit cleaning......................t

I'd definitely start with some Deoxit on the controls and see if that helps. I've never been inside of an R9 but Yamahas of that era do typically have the cap glue that likes to eat up any components it touches so it may be time for some maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom