Yamaha RX-770 tuner section

vintage27

as my tuner search goes on, I just wonder how my Yamaha RX-770 receiver's tuner section would compare to stand alone tuners in the Yamaha line. does anyone know if its the equivalent to some of them?

You have to compare the specs, the designs and then there is the listening experience. I do not even own a yam product.
Usually the totl receivers had okay tuners, mid range they saved on parts costs, front end, cf filters, if gain,etc, compared to the separates.

Only the really early Yamahas of the CR series had tuners that were really comparable to the sperate models. I stopped selling Yamaha just before the RX-770, the RX-750 was the current model at the time, and the tuners in the receivers were OK but nothing special. Some TOTL like the RX-1130 had relatively good tuner sections but not comparable sonically to the top separates.

I am working on a stereo decoder using a Sanyo LA3450, just for the fun of it. One design I am referencing is the Yamaha TX-950. It is a high end tuner with most of the features one would want except RDBS/RDS, which is now a standard for a tuner just like IBOC.

I am working on a stereo decoder using a Sanyo LA3450, just for the fun of it. One design I am referencing is the Yamaha TX-950. It is a high end tuner with most of the features one would want except RDBS/RDS, which is now a standard for a tuner just like IBOC.
thanks for that info. The TX-950 is one I've been thinking about.

The TX-930/950 were quite a bit better than what you will find in receivers of the same era. Very good tuners, not quite in the T-85 league sonically but great reception and you have to love rotary knob on a digital tuner!

I have an RX-777. The tuner sounds O.K. with a very strong signal but on weaker ones it sucks gas. I have an external tuner hooked up to mine. The amp is what makes it a keeper, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom