Yamaha Rx-900u delayed relay click

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Odizzieus, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Odizzieus

Odizzieus Member

When I turn on the receiver for the first time in a day, it takes about 15 minutes before the relay clicks. If I turn off the receiver for an hour or two, the relay still takes time to click. If I turn it off and then back on, it clicks in about 10 seconds

Please register to disable this ad.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

There is probably a small dried up capacitor in the protect circuit that's responsible for the RC time constant that establishes the delay time.

3. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Look for C190 220µf/6.3 vdc it should be located pretty close to the protect relay.

rcs16 likes this.
  4. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

This unit is fresh on my mind after I re-built an amp channel, I found it easy to work on, take the top and bottom covers off, flip so you have access to the bottom. The component layout is shown from the copper side. Leads are auto inserted, so they are kinked, need to be straighten out with the hot iron first. pre-tin first before I remove the solder. Even after you remove the solder, use some very small needle nose pliers to straighten the leads, then they fall out of the holes with no damage.

Good luck, I hope it is that ecap.

5. Odizzieus

Odizzieus Member

My replacement resistor comes today. Before I blew it like an idiot, the unit still didn’t click after a few seconds