Yamaha RX-A770 WOW!

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The Yamaha arrived today and I had it setup in about 45 minutes. Another couple of hours configuring the basic settings. I still have a bunch of others to attend to. The U/I is a giant leap over what the Onkyo used. The only thing that slowed me down was learning were various setting were in the menus.

When I started to listen to the Yamaha I realized just how bad the Onkyo was. Both the sound and picture was much better. I was basically watching movies to night. I have not addressed the many music playback features will start on that tomorrow. The one thing I noticed right off the bat this Yamaha runs a whole bunch cooler then the Onkyo. I also appreciate the smaller foot print. In the short time I have had this AVR I am very impressed. The last time I was impressed like this was the JVC Super Digifine stuff I had in the Late 1980's. More to follow....very pleased.

Trying to figure out why the LG panel is not switching on an off as it did with the Onkyo from the Apple/Amazon Firestick/Roku remotes. The LG is CES compliant. Must be a setting somewhere.

Trying to figure out why the LG panel is not switching on an off as it did with the Onkyo from the Apple/Amazon Firestick/Roku remotes. The LG is CES compliant. Must be a setting somewhere.

It's in there. I've seen the setting on my A3030. I wish I were home, and I'd look it up for you. Also, make sure to download the Yamaha control App. It's awesome. It addresses features better than using the receiver's remote, or the front panel controls.

Oh yea, I'm glad to hear you liked the A770. I know I won't change from Yamaha. Great stuff.

Yes, there are CEC settings in the Yamaha's menus. CEC often "works" inconsistently, however; I avoid using it for that reason.

The settings seem to be correct I think the problem lies with the LG monitor it has Simplink, the Onkyo was contemporary to the LG, 2012, so I suspect it is a age/software compatibility thing. It is a no big thing as long as the remotes control their functions through the Yamaha I am happy. The LG panel is only used as a monitor so the on/off button on it's remote is just about all I use.

I feel like writing a thank you letter to Onkyo.

Dear Onkyo
I would like to express my appreciation for the trials and tribulations your AVR's put me throught. The first one blew a PA, and nuked one of my speakers with DC. Replaced that Onkyo with another. After 3 years it's HDMI board failed, thanks for fixing it after stonewalling this issue for several years. Got it back and the HDMI board functioned for one month less then a year when the HDMI output failed. It is thanks to all of this that I purchased a Yamaha AVR. Thank you Onkyo had it not been for you I would not appreciate my new Yamaha RX-A770 nearly as much as I do.

My Sincere Thanks
;)

Tell us how you really feel. LOL. In all seriousness though, I would LOVE for someone to chime in who has heard the new 70 series and can compare them to the 60 and 50 series. I am building a theater and am trying to decide on an avr and my local shop swears up and down that the new 70 series hands down blows away the 60 series with all new internals. Just wondering how true that is.

Crutchfield is exchanging my A770 for another one. It quickly developed problem causing it shut down with a "Check Speaker Wiring" fault. I ruled out the speakers. It was getting worse. I called Crutchfield and the are sending me a replacement.

While it was working I can report this is the best AVR I have ever had. When I get it's replacement then we will do a review. This problem does not bother me, however if the replacement fails then we will exchange it for something else but I don't anticipate this.

What the Yamaha is doing it will go for several hours without a problem. Then it will shut down. I very carefully checked out the speakers, put instruments on the cabling and speakers they were fine. I went to a 3.1 set up all Polk, L/R and center, the subwoofer has a digital LFE connection. Polk speakers are easy to drive. When the fault shuts it down I have to unplug the unit for 45 mins or so to let what ever was kicking it out, to cool? It is slowly getting worse. I have alot of experience with electronics and I suspect this is a problem in the protection chip set. Talked to Crutchfield and they agreed with my assessment. The replacement should be here next Tuesday.

Crutchfield is exchanging my A770 for another one. It quickly developed problem causing it shut down with a "Check Speaker Wiring" fault. I ruled out the speakers. It was getting worse. I called Crutchfield and the are sending me a replacement.

While it was working I can report this is the best AVR I have ever had. When I get it's replacement then we will do a review. This problem does not bother me, however if the replacement fails then we will exchange it for something else but I don't anticipate this.

You are making me nervous. I hope my new A770 doesn't develop the same problem. So far so good. I am going to turn it on now and play it loud in 7 channel stereo with the YPO volume (Loudness) on for a few hours full range. I was concerned about its ability to drive 4 ohm speakers.

Are your speakers 8 ohms. If not, Yamaha recommends switching the amp into 4 ohm mode. Its set at 8 ohms from the factory. That's what makes me nervous. Many new AVR's say the same thing, Not just Yamaha.

Anyway!
I have had mine for a couple weeks now and would highly recommend it. It really does sound good in stereo, Good enough for most folks IMO who are looking for a one box solution for both Dolby Atmos HT, and Stereo music enjoyment. Actually the 870 (with preamp outputs), 1070, and 2070 (9 channels vs 7) all have their attributes that make them a good value in their price range. I kind of whish I bought the 870 now. But honestly I doubt I would use an external power amp.

Hi-FiJeff:

I did some research comparing the 760 with the 770 and came to the conclusion they are almost identical in terms of audio SQ. The same weight, size, Probably specs too. They do provide slightly different FTC specs, But I think they just decided to publish different numbers using the same amps. My dealer suggested I wait for the 770 only to get the most up to date features. I could be wrong, But I would not expect the 770 to sound much different then the 760.

Last edited:
Talked to support about the impedance. Polk Audio speakers have always had 6 ohm impedance, and they are also very easy to drive. You can configure the A770 for 4/6/8 ohms. I configured it for 6 ohms after this problem started Crutchfield said what I did was exactly right. I am not at all worried about this issue. I have been into electronics for a lot of years. The way solid state electronics usually work if there is an assembly , or parts problem, it will show up real fast. The thing to do with your A770 leave it powered on 24/7 for a week or so playing music, videos etc. this will burn it in and any weak parts will show up. The fact you have had yours for a couple weeks tells me you are most likely home free. I really like this Yamaha so I am looking forward to the replacement coming next Tues.

Talked to support about the impedance. Polk Audio speakers have always had 6 ohm impedance, and they are also very easy to drive. You can configure the A770 for 4/6/8 ohms. I configured it for 6 ohms after this problem started Crutchfield said what I did was exactly right. I am not at all worried about this issue. I have been into electronics for a lot of years. The way solid state electronics usually work if there is an assembly , or parts problem, it will show up real fast. The thing to do with your A770 leave it powered on 24/7 for a week or so playing music, videos etc. this will burn it in and any weak parts will show up. The fact you have had yours for a couple weeks tells me you are most likely home free. I really like this Yamaha so I am looking forward to the replacement coming next Tues.

Thanks for the suggestion. I live in a townhome, so operating it 24/7 may not be best, But I will play it many hours a day anyway. Considering how many of these AVR's are made, Some bad ones are bound to slip through. Good luck with your replacement.

Charles the way you read reported problems with any given piece Audio electronics is look for patterns. I have not seen any patterns in Yamaha failures.

Last edited:
The beauty of Crutchfield is you have 2 months to decide.on a purchase. In the unlikely event I have trouble with this second rig there is a Denon, and a Marantz I can get instead or I can upgrade to a Yamaha higher up the model chain.

Charles the way you read reported problems with any given itemaudio electronics is look for patterns. I have not seen any patterns in Yamaha failures.

That's great. I did a little research on Yamaha AVR's and didn't read about any glaring issues either.

Last edited:
Are your speakers 8 ohms. If not, Yamaha recommends switching the amp into 4 ohm mode. Its set at 8 ohms from the factory. That's what makes me nervous. Many new AVR's say the same thing, Not just Yamaha.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend switching the receiver to the 4 Ohm mode. While it does help make a low impedance load easier for the receiver to drive, it also switches the receiver into a low current mode, that can adversely affect sound quality. Provide less drive and damping factor to the bass. You'd be better off to either slightly lower the volume, replace the speakers, or buy a beefier receiver, as the 4 Ohm mode isn't there to improve the amps performance into low impedance speakers.

Sorry to hear about your continuing issues. But I know Crutchfield will take care of you. They have the best Customer Service and Support in the business!

I used to shop their Outlet Store all the time, when they were only a couple of miles down the road. If I ever bought an used item, that later had an issue, the Sales Rep would always walk back into the stock room, grab a new unopened replacement, and just swap it for the questionable piece. No questions asked. Awesome company.

Back
Top Bottom