Yamaha RX-A860 turns itself on.

EJC1

Last August (2016) I put together a new system in a vacation home. I am using a Yamaha RX-A860 and a Vizio 70" tv. All was working well together, except it seems the system will turn itself on.
This is a vacation home and it is bad enough the 860 will turn itself on (and with it the TV) but it can be on for weeks at a time. This has happened several times.
We just put in security cameras, which have temporarily been put inside. When we checked the cameras the other day the Yamaha piano screen was visible on the Vizio.
I called Yamaha, they have no idea what is going on.
I've had other Yamaha receivers and this has never occurred.

I may have it looked at under warranty

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Take a look around for IR sources that the receiver can "see". (e.g., from your security cameras, motion detectors, smoke detectors, even the flicker from LED lightbulbs, etc.) Some digital cameras without an IR filter will show IR light on the screen. You might have an IR device that is "tricking" the Yamaha.

Last edited:
Unplug electronics when not in use....Duh..

I'm sure there is a stray RF source (like a neighbor even) that's causing the Yamaha to turn on but I'd second unplugging everything when you head out for more than a day or two. I'll unplug everything in my house except the refrigerator if I'm going to be gone more than say three or four days. Cheap insurance against lightening strikes or an electronic device deciding it's time to self immolate and taking your house with it.

I'm sure there is a stray RF source (like a neighbor even) that's causing the Yamaha to turn on but I'd second unplugging everything when you head out for more than a day or two. I'll unplug everything in my house except the refrigerator if I'm going to be gone more than say three or four days. Cheap insurance against lightening strikes or an electronic device deciding it's time to self immolate and taking your house with it.
I was thinking unplug, but it would still be nice to know the cause.

Maybe try putting a piece of tape in front of the IR sensor to make sure there isn't something wrong internally?
If it doesn't turn on then you need to try and figure out where the turn on signal is coming from. If it does still turn on then it will need to get looked at.

Maybe try putting a piece of tape in front of the IR sensor to make sure there isn't something wrong internally?
If it doesn't turn on then you need to try and figure out where the turn on signal is coming from. If it does still turn on then it will need to get looked at.

It will need a piece of cardstock (or similar) and some tape.

Explanation: I separated my AX-1090's pre/main jumpers to use a CX-600 pre-amp with the AX-1090 amp section. Covering the IR receiver window on the AX-1090 with a piece of electrical tape did nothing. The IR signal went right through. When I used my remote both unit's volume control etc were active. I had to cut a small piece of card-stock and tape that in front of the window before I could use the CX-600 exclusively as a pre-amp without the AX-1090 pre section following with.

Cheers,
James

It took several days but now it appears to have turned itself off.
I guess when I get back in a week I'll be looking for sources and unplugging when I leave

Is your security system connected to the Yamaha receiver?

The Security System is connected to the router. - CAT6
The cameras (separate) are connected to the router - CAT6
The 6800 is only connected to the router (CAT6) when I want to update the software

The cameras are connected to the 6800 HDMI.

The system turned itself off a couple of days ago and so far appears to have stayed off

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom