1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha RX V683 vs Onkyo TX NR676

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by J Hendrix, May 16, 2018.

?

Onkyo TX NR676 or Yamaha RX V683

1. Onkyo TX NR 676

33.3%
  2. Yamaha RX V683

66.7%
  1. J Hendrix

J Hendrix New Member

So, in the market for a new AV Receiver, and am wanting to choose between these two. Yamaha RX V683 or Onkyo TX NR676.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. hemiram

hemiram Active Member

I still have my doubts about Onkyo's long term reliability, so I would take the Yamaha, as I probably would anyway, even without any doubt about the Onkyo.

J Hendrix likes this.
  3. J Hendrix

J Hendrix New Member

The only thing I really want to be sure of is the power rating because although I am seriously leaning towards the Yamaha, I'd like to know why Onkyo's amps in this price rang tend to be rated at 100w and Yamahas tend to be rated at 90w. Currently using an Onkyo TX-NR727 and I am planning an upgrade. Would use it to drive 2 Klipsch f3 floorstanding speakers (front) 2 Klipsch b3 bookshelf speakers (front high) and two of the same Klipsch b3s for surround channel. Plan to buy a Klipsch r25c center speaker. Will forgo rears (which is why I like the Yamaha for it's 'virtual rears'), the reason for dropping teats is poorly designed living room (Mad Magazine had a joke about this "crappy sound due to lousy floor plan mode") so rear surrounds wouldn't suit the way our living room is designed. Using twin subs (don't remember brand number), but what I want to know is would the Yamaha be just as loud and would our speakers be underpowered?

4. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station.... Subscriber

No big difference between 90 and 100 watts. The subs will take much of the power load off the AVR (assuming you crossover the mains at 60 Hz or so) making the difference meaningless.

I've had very good luck with Yamaha and zero experience with onkyo so, fair or not, I vote yamaha.