Yamaha S2000 Appreciation Thread

xadawgx

I just recently picked up the Yamaha A-S2000 and matching CD-S2000 in brushed aluminum, to say the pair is gorgeous is an understatement! The heft and build quality of both units is really outstanding. I know they have been mentioned in the past on this forum but I don't think anyone on the entire internet has paired them with Rega RS5 speakers (I know because I exhaustively searched before purchasing!) I was concerned the amp wouldn't be able to drive the Rega's into their "sweet spot" like the diminutive Rega Brio-R I had prior was able to. Some professional and personal reviews alike accused the Yamaha of being "too smooth", "laid back" and "lacking excitement" so this had me a little concerned because the Rega's are such enthralling and communicative speakers but I decided to pull the trigger anyway paying more attention to the resoundingly positive reviews I had also found on the web. On to sound quality...holy expletive! Everything just disappears and the music just flows so organically and without a hint of digital harshness. I hate to use the words "analog" and "tube like" but it really is the best way to define it. Infinitely smooth but not laid back at all, crisp but never sharp or fatiguing. Authoritative and weighty sound complimented by clean well articulated bass. I am hearing significant new details in CDs that I have heard 100 times before. The sound stage is wide and the channel separation really stands out. This combo really could entertain you for hours without listener fatigue and I actually prefer it to Rega's own Brio-R and DAC combo. The Rega combo is very entertaining as well but didn't seem as detailed to me, slightly grainier and a somewhat darker sound the Yamaha combo. This really may be one of the best bargains in HiFi in my opinion and I think they are my ticket off the merry go round, at least for my 2 channel system (my home theater is another matter) I was able to pick them up brand new for well below MSRP so if anyone might be on the fence I hope this review is helpful.

I'm always amazed when posters say they bought brand-new merchandise at well-below MSRP. Not sure how you did that and won't ask. Suffice to say, at $2000 for the rest of us, it had better be that good.

I guess I should clarify, well below average street price (Amazon, Crutchfield etc) This was from an authorized dealer, nothing shady if that is what you were inferring. I'd be happy to PM you the dealer info if you are really interested. At any rate I feel the price/performance ratio to very high with this combo.

I'm always amazed when posters say they bought brand-new merchandise at well-below MSRP. Not sure how you did that and won't ask. Suffice to say, at $2000 for the rest of us, it had better be that good.

Agree, there are better choices at the list price. However, I bought mine used at a very, very reasonable price. At the price I paid I don't think it can be beat for a solid stereo SACD player. Although the internal redbook DAC is very good, I prefer the digital out to my Audio-gd Reference 5.32 DAC.

I bought my A-S2000 and CD-S1000 lightly used from a gent who was moving to an Esoteric amplifier/SACD combo to drive his Magico V3's--just to give an idea of where you have to go to better some of the Yamaha gear (or at least spend more money).

I'd previously owned the A-S700 and CD-S700. I'm awaiting delivery of the A-S3000 if anyone wonders how good this line is. I was thinking about some of the new amplifiers from Sony and McIntosh but I couldn't find another amplifier with as much current, A/B speaker posts, MOSFETS, dual XLR, and every input and output I would ever use. I don't even bother much with reviews anymore. I've tried several brands of integrated amplifiers and I keep coming back to the Yamaha Line. I think that people get caught up in Yamaha's line of downmarket AVRs and aren't actually giving the A-S line a fair listen. The A-S2000 has driven every speaker I've had very well with the exception of the ATC SCM40 and that was still a pleasing pairing--just needed more grip to get the insensitive SCM40's going.

I'm driving Yamaha NS1000 speakers and the A-S2000 is very good for about an hour and unreal when it gets warmed up--seriously, I'd listen to a recitation of the alphabet after its warmed up. My usual source is the NP-S2000.

If this A-S3000 is everything the A-S2000 has been, I may be done upgrading for some time. I thought the A-S2000 was a lifetime piece when I bought it and here I am waiting on the newest iteration. I guess I'd better get to 40 years old before I bandy about the notion that I'm never upgrading.

And all I could afford was the A-S500. I'm so jealous!

Congrats! Beautiful equipment!

While I really love my Yamaha M4 its hard to recommend that 'old battle axe' to anyone outside of the AK universe. Good to see there are stylish alternatives with decent speaker binding posts! Plus it doesn't seem to have any overly bright LED lights. Thanks for the heads up. Excellent choice.

I knew ATC SCM bookshelf (along with most quality bookshelf speakers) required lots of power but I always and I guess wrongly assumed their floor standing speakers would be more efficient. Good to know that.

It is funny that the NS1000 speakers (and they called them bookshelf speakers?) have a high SPL but they also need a powerful amp for decent bass response.

Off the wall joke: If one was 'born and raiser in South Detroit' does that mean they are Canadian?

Thanks guys!

I was going to post my notes here but it was way too long. Posted them here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=7790100#post7790100

14107975381_4ae4067dee_z_d.jpg

14107974971_066dd12157_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
And all I could afford was the A-S500. I'm so jealous!

Congrats! Beautiful equipment!

Thanks!

All I could afford at first was the A-S700 and CD-S700 which I bought for $150/each (a steal). After getting pulled further in to the hobby, I realized that stereo equipment isn't an optional toy, it is my therapy and a refuge. That is worth most of my disposable income.

There are deals out there so set your sights on an A-S1000 or A-S2000 and sometimes amazing things happen.

While I really love my Yamaha M4 its hard to recommend that 'old battle axe' to anyone outside of the AK universe. Good to see there are stylish alternatives with decent speaker binding posts! Plus it doesn't seem to have any overly bright LED lights. Thanks for the heads up. Excellent choice.

I knew ATC SCM bookshelf (along with most quality bookshelf speakers) required lots of power but I always and I guess wrongly assumed their floor standing speakers would be more efficient. Good to know that.

It is funny that the NS1000 speakers (and they called them bookshelf speakers?) have a high SPL but they also need a powerful amp for decent bass response.

Off the wall joke: If one was 'born and raiser in South Detroit' does that mean they are Canadian?

Ha. I live right near South Detroit (Windsor). It's funny that folks come here not realizing that there is a major Canadian city south of Detroit across the Detroit River.

The ATC bookshelf speakers are not as insensitive as folks would have you believe. Perhaps the SCM20's are but the SCM7, SCM11, and SCM19 are gems and great with the Yamaha A-S series.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom