Yamaha SPS-500 Stands for NS-1000M

johsti

I'm planning to make some SPS-500 clones and was hoping to get some dimensions from someone who owns a pair of these stands. Specifically the middle plate that can be mounted horizontal or at an angle. If you have a pair, can you please let me know? Also looking for the dimensions of the screw placement on the sides (for the slanted orientation of the middle plate). Here is a picture of the stands I'm referring to. Thanks.

Attachments

• Yamaha SPS-500.jpg
    Yamaha SPS-500.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 127
Those are very nice Edwin. What species of lumber is it ?

Those would look great under my macassar ebony NS-1000's.

Yup solid lumber . We call it “narra” a philippine hardwood. National tree of the philippines. Got these from old house of my grandmother. Now illegal to cut

Yup solid lumber . We call it “narra” a philippine hardwood. National tree of the philippines. Got these from old house of my grandmother. Now illegal to cut
That are beautiful Ed.

Thanks for the ideas. From what I've found online, the dimensions of the original SPS-500 stands are 370x250x290 mm. I'm trying to stay true to the original dimensions and am looking for specs on the middle board and the location of the screw holes. Thanks.

I made some today. In Australia i used Vic Ash in 290mm x 45mm
2 sides are 295mm long
Centre is 337mm or 427mm minus the thickness of the 2 sides if you have ns1000x

For ns1000 i think its 395mm minus the thickness of the 2 sides is the centre piece.

I'll post pic tomorrow once i have finish staining will walnut.

I note in the pic above, the centre piece is not at a perfect 45deg angle. is that a note on the actual original spec, or if that just a nuance of the drawing?

Last edited:
LOL Cracks me up they havent modernised their counting system...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55895/countries-havent-adopted-metric-system
it does not seem to be a need for that and that is why it has not changed over to metric.

when it comes to precise measurements and when imperial system is used, it is used on base of 100. So you have .500, .250 .0001 of an inch etc. Just a different size measuring stick, but same principal of utization.

Not defending it, but until a real need arises, I do not see it changed. Besides, most engeneering companies could easily use the metric system as well.

@rottalpha

The originals did not appear to be sturdy enough for my liking, So I did a set as I seen fit. The originals are obviously out of reach for common folk, and just as rare.

@rottalpha

The originals did not appear to be sturdy enough for my liking, So I did a set as I seen fit. The originals are obviously out of reach for common folk, and just as rare.

They are not that rare, just impractical to transport. I do believe that a good wood shop can more than outdo the originals...just as you already did. Going to a wood-shop will probably be the avenue I will take, as I do not have the luxury of time to spend to build my own set...at least not in the near future.

My attempt. Trying to match the walnut with the NS1000xw. Yamaha dimensions are 250mm high and mine are 290 - that was the height i thought optimal for the tweeter/ear height. Mine reconsider it, easy to change. They look oddly high.

I added one pic so you can see the original hardwood colour - Victorian Ash, Australian native hardwood.

This material is 45mm thick, i have some 65mm oregon i could make a second, shorter/fatter from...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom