Yamaha T-70 preset problems?

sparktone

Hello…this is my first post on audiokarma.org. I’m someone who is trying to expand my audiophile capabilities on a (very tight) budget. My first step toward doing that was to purchase a Yamaha T-70 tuner, which after a couple of weeks seems to exhibit some weirdness with its presets.

It appears that the tuner is incapable of holding more than 2 sets of presets at any given time (when there should be a total of 4 available--two each for AM and FM). For example, if you have a full set of station presets for FM on both the A and B ranks and then try to program for the AM band, each new AM preset will overwrite one of the other FM presets for that number. So if you then try to access one of the overwritten FM presets, the tuner will jump to one of the other stations regardless of whether it’s AM or FM, or A or B rank.

This can’t be normal, right? I’m wondering if there is an internal battery I might easily replace that could fix this problem.

I bought this unit at a local audiophile gear store whose owner is willing to refund my money. If there is no easy fix for this, I plan to take him up on his offer and try my luck on eBay.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you might have.

sparktone said:
Hello…this is my first post on audiokarma.org. I’m someone who is trying to expand my audiophile capabilities on a (very tight) budget. My first step toward doing that was to purchase a Yamaha T-70 tuner, which after a couple of weeks seems to exhibit some weirdness with its presets.

It appears that the tuner is incapable of holding more than 2 sets of presets at any given time (when there should be a total of 4 available--two each for AM and FM). For example, if you have a full set of station presets for FM on both the A and B ranks and then try to program for the AM band, each new AM preset will overwrite one of the other FM presets for that number. So if you then try to access one of the overwritten FM presets, the tuner will jump to one of the other stations regardless of whether it’s AM or FM, or A or B rank.

This can’t be normal, right? I’m wondering if there is an internal battery I might easily replace that could fix this problem.

I bought this unit at a local audiophile gear store whose owner is willing to refund my money. If there is no easy fix for this, I plan to take him up on his offer and try my luck on eBay.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you might have.

I suspect that you would have to refer to a service manual on this model to determine if it uses a battery for back-up of the presets. There were other methods of storing presets, super-caps, non-volitable ram, etc.

I have a mid to late 80s luxman T-02 digital tuner ( agreat tuner by the way) that if you leave it unplugged from the wall for more then a couple of days loses all it's presets, like a VCR losing it's clock setting. No battery inside that was just how it was designed....

Lefty

I think the T-70 can only take a max of 10 presets, regardless of AM or FM. So I programmed A for FM and B for AM.
Mc

ModernClassic said:
I think the T-70 can only take a max of 10 presets, regardless of AM or FM. So I programmed A for FM and B for AM.
Mc

Well, that would explain everything. With no owner's manual and no point of reference, it was kind of hard to know. Thanks for clearing that up.

Back
Top Bottom