Yamaha T-85

PabloTincho

There is a discussion in the FMtuner groups about the Yamaha T-85, according to the owner is the best tuner, his Yamaha was modified by Mike Williams. Now I am thinking about getting a t-85 too

Look for a Yamaha T-2. It'll be a few bucks more.
I have two, both as original as built. Both perform flawlessly. Both sound outstanding.

Edit---only lamps replaced on both.

Some years ago I got a T-85. It was OK, but I didn't think it lived up to the hype. Then I aligned it! Now, it does have its quirks, which are well documented. If the signal gets weak, it cuts the bandwidth automatically. If the signal gets strong again, it's up to you to push the button and open it back up. Some people like to change the filters, but I'm perfectly happy with stock. Alignment is considered a bit tricky, but after putting it off for years out of sheer terror, it turned out to be cake. IMO, it's not a tuner for the completely non-technical, but used to full advantage it's right up there with the best.

I got a T-85 at a church rummage sale, for next to nothing. It was a gift for a friend. I hooked it up at home just be sure it worked. I was astonished how good it sounded! But I still gave it to the friend. I never regret being nice to my friends — except this time. The T-85 is much better than that friend turned out to be.

The only thing is that I have a Denon -TU 800, so do i really need another tuner
One tuner? If you have any good stations in your area, you need more tuners. I have stuff to listen to and have a half dozen tuners.

If you don't have good stations you need to get tuners that are too complicated to use easily (like my TX-1000 Yamaha, had to read the manual twice) or ones that look great.

If you need a good sounding DX tuner the Yamaha T-85 is great. An even better sounding tuner in the same price range but not as good for DXing is theYamaha T-2.

Well just got a broken T-85 for $57, the display is not working right, I hope Mike can fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the actually display is bad.. confidence is low. Often a cap can cause issue. Removing link.. Not a link to the T-85...

Well just got a broken T-85 for $57, the display is not working right, I hope Mike can fix it.
So it was you that out bid me :) If it is the MCU = trouble, part not to be found unless from a donor unit. I do wonder why people bid on stuff they can not fix. I am sure it will cost a lot more than $57 in order to fix it, if possible, the shipping expense to/from Mike is more than $57.
I am not sure if I should be offering advise to people that out bid me :) If you can not fix it, I'll buy it for $57, on a chance that it is not the MCU.

Good Luck
Rick

So it was you that out bid me :) If it is the MCU = trouble, part not to be found unless from a donor unit. I do wonder why people bid on stuff they can not fix. I am sure it will cost a lot more than $57 in order to fix it, if possible, the shipping expense to/from Mike is more than $57.
I am not sure if I should be offering advise to people that out bid me :) If you can not fix it, I'll buy it for $57, on a chance that it is not the MCU.

Good Luck
Rick

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Nat...8luxxWPH%2FhxS9SqCzVQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Can you tell what is going on with the display by looking at the pictures ?

there are a number of possibilities that need to be troubleshot in order to determine the cause. based on what i see I do not think it is a cap, but you can not count anything out unless you probe/test for operation.

there are a number of possibilities that need to be troubleshot in order to determine the cause. based on what i see I do not think it is a cap, but you can not count anything out unless you probe/test for operation.

here is a better picture of the display, I have not choice but to wait for mike s-l1600.jpg

Too late to say yea or nay for you already got one... But I really love my Punker X T-85

When my T2 is working properly (it needs some work) it sounds extremely well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom