Yamaha Tape Decks

yamahafanatc

Ok, so right now most of my system is yamaha, so for better or for worse, I would like to keep it that way. I am asking your opinion on a few matters. I have looked at the KX-580, KX-530, KX-500, K-850, K-720 and TC-920(B) I am wondering which of these you think is the best. I know it is up to my ears, yes, but in general what have you found? I also know that the K-1020 is very high quality as well as the KX-930, but my price range probably tops out at about $200. Another question I had is how useful are the various Dolby NR settings? My previous TC-520 had Dolby B only, but I am going for an improvement. All of the ones I stated above have B and C EXCEPT the TC-920(B) a few even have B, C and S. How important is it to have C or S? One more question I had was, how much better are the amorphous heads versus regular? Also if you have other suggestions along these lines I am open to you opinion.

A question for you. Does your budget include refurbing the tape deck as they would need new belts, lube and possibly new idler wheels? As to the decks mentioned, I have zero experience with any of them, but if it were me, I would go with the one with the most features, even if you don't plan on using the features. Are you planning on using the deck to record,, or just playback? If doing a lot of recording, I would lean towards 3 head units.

Ok, so right now most of my system is yamaha, so for better or for worse, I would like to keep it that way. I am asking your opinion on a few matters. I have looked at the KX-580, KX-530, KX-500, K-850, K-720 and TC-920(B) I am wondering which of these you think is the best. I know it is up to my ears, yes, but in general what have you found? I also know that the K-1020 is very high quality as well as the KX-930, but my price range probably tops out at about $200. Another question I had is how useful are the various Dolby NR settings? My previous TC-520 had Dolby B only, but I am going for an improvement. All of the ones I stated above have B and C EXCEPT the TC-920(B) a few even have B, C and S. How important is it to have C or S? One more question I had was, how much better are the amorphous heads versus regular? Also if you have other suggestions along these lines I am open to you opinion.

I was in similar situation. I don't know what period Yamaha gear you have but judging from your avatar, it's 1970s as I do.
Yamaha deck will crash esthetically with 1970s clunky silver faced Yamaha looks. Seems like Yamaha started to make decks in 1980s with the dark plasticy esthetics. 1970s deck by Teac or Akai would be a much better match visually.

Saying this I went for Yamaha KX-670 deck for my Yamaha CR-800 receiver. It's a safe option as the deck is from 1993-1996 and with new belt. I don't have experience in restoration of tape decks. I did two 1970s Hitachi boomboxes and just skipped the tape part, restored just electronics, the belts were literally melted into goo all over the mechanical parts, gross.

If I had more time I would maybe go for a late 1970s deck (so not Yamaha) with analogue meters and heavy build to match CR-800. Just check Akai GXC-710D. I'm a bit afraid though that the head could be worn out, I haven't done much research yet.

As to Dolby, I had Technics deck in the late 1980s and it sounded terrible with dolby b or c. Usual advice, avoid auto reverse, and 3 heads better than 2 :)

Last edited:
A question for you. Does your budget include refurbing the tape deck as they would need new belts, lube and possibly new idler wheels? As to the decks mentioned, I have zero experience with any of them, but if it were me, I would go with the one with the most features, even if you don't plan on using the features. Are you planning on using the deck to record,, or just playback? If doing a lot of recording, I would lean towards 3 head units.
I would prefer not to have the extra expense, but if it was a very high quality deck for a great price I would consider it.

I was in similar situation. I don't know what period Yamaha gear you have but judging from your avatar, it's 1970s as I do.
Yamaha deck will crash esthetically with 1970s clunky silver faced Yamaha looks. Seems like Yamaha started to make decks in 1980s with the dark plasticy esthetics. 1970s deck by Teac or Akai would be a much better match visually.

Saying this I went for Yamaha KX-670 deck for my Yamaha CR-800 receiver. It's a safe option as the deck is from 1993-1996 and with new belt. I don't have experience in restoration of tape decks. I did two 1970s Hitachi boomboxes and just skipped the tape part, restored just electronics, the belts were literally melted into goo all over the mechanical parts, gross.

If I had more time I would maybe go for a late 1970s deck (so not Yamaha) with analogue meters and heavy build to match CR-800. Just check Akai GXC-710D. I'm a bit afraid though that the head could be worn out, I haven't done much research yet.

As to Dolby, I had Technics deck in the late 1980s and it sounded terrible with dolby b or c. Usual advice, avoid auto reverse, and 3 heads better than 2 :)
If I had all the money to spend, I would probably get a KX-930 that came in a silver face, but thats way out of my price range...
Yeah, most of my gear is from around there, but aesthetics are not of super high importance...I have a black sansui tuner(see signature) that doesnt really match but it sounds good so...

Back
Top Bottom