Yamaha TC-1000 Cassette Deck

Hitachiht550

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello. Well I have done a search and did not see the solution to a problem I am having with a recent purchase of a Yamaha TC-1000 cassette deck. So I am turning to the knowledge base here at AK once again.

When I flip the power switch there is an immediate click. I found this to be the solenoid directly in front of the big motor that turns the wide flat belt. Can anyone confirm that this happens on theirs? Or doesn't for that matter.

Thanks
J

Hello. Well I have done a search and did not see the solution to a problem I am having with a recent purchase of a Yamaha TC-1000 cassette deck. So I am turning to the knowledge base here at AK once again.

When I flip the power switch there is an immediate click. I found this to be the solenoid directly in front of the big motor that turns the wide flat belt. Can anyone confirm that this happens on theirs? Or doesn't for that matter.

Thanks
J
I am working on a Yamaha TC-720 that has a solenoid that begins clicking when turned on, but stops as soon as playback or record starts. It performs as normal until the end of the tape, shuts the tape off then begins clicking again. Other than that, it seems to work fine, but I would like to fix this if possible.
Just replaced the belts (which was not easy) and everything else (other than the clicking) seems fine.

I haven't fired mine up for years, so I don't remember. If I get up the gumption to disinter it from its resting place, I'll test it & let you know.
It' s not buried too deep, so there's hope.

DSC_0241 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I am working on a Yamaha TC-720 that has a solenoid that begins clicking when turned on, but stops as soon as playback or record starts. It performs as normal until the end of the tape, shuts the tape off then begins clicking again. Other than that, it seems to work fine, but I would like to fix this if possible.
Just replaced the belts (which was not easy) and everything else (other than the clicking) seems fine.

RE that Yamaha TC-720 that you just re-belted....how does that main flat belt route around the various pulleys and wheels/capstans ? I just opened y TC720 up completely this weekend and removed all the plates etc to reach the pulleys/wheels and clean off all the belt goo with rubbing alcohol. That was a process ! (2+hours). But never having seen how a working, non-broken belt should work, i do not know how it should be routed. Does anyone have a diagram ? And on the topic of belts...where do you guys find belts for a TC720 ? Is it a good idea to replace all belts at once even the ones that appear to be functional ? Thanks

J

Hello, Hitachiht550, I just acquired a pristine TC-1000 deck like yours... and it does indeed immediately "click" when you flip up the power toggle.

I'm a newby to all this stuff, and it was a bit startling. But my deck seems to function flawlessly.

RE that Yamaha TC-720 that you just re-belted....how does that main flat belt route around the various pulleys and wheels/capstans ? I just opened y TC720 up completely this weekend and removed all the plates etc to reach the pulleys/wheels and clean off all the belt goo with rubbing alcohol. That was a process ! (2+hours). But never having seen how a working, non-broken belt should work, i do not know how it should be routed. Does anyone have a diagram ? And on the topic of belts...where do you guys find belts for a TC720 ? Is it a good idea to replace all belts at once even the ones that appear to be functional ? Thanks
Sorry for the delay in answering, but I don't check this site very often. I got my belts from Vintage-Electronics.Net, and if I remember correctly, they also include a step by step picture layout of the replacement process:https://www.vintage-electronics.net/yamaha-tc-720-belt-kit.aspx

Back
Top Bottom