Yamaha tc520

blhagstrom

Mad Scientist, fixer.
Along with a cr640 rescue (another thread), I picked up a Yamaha TC520 cassette deck. Its pretty, huge meters, fairly advanced for 1978 (I think thats right). There is a lack of info online, probably the loss of interest and use in cassette decks. I was thinking of using it as an "audio source" on my work bench. (Or maybe just stacking it with the rest of the silver...or offering it up an CL or eBay...).

ANYWAY

One channel has a clicking (popping) noice. It seemed to show up using the NR switch. Was there, wasn't there, came back, etc... It sounds periodic. A few clicks per second. I'm wondering if there is a messed up power source (although a half cycle would be 30hz, much too fast for this).

Any info somewhere? Schematic? Tips, tricks, hints. This is sort of a hobby, skill level... advanced beginner? (I'm reading as fast as I can!)

I need to do the visual inspection (since it is intermittent, maybe a bad solder joint). I deoxed the NR switch. Things are a little dirty but not bad.

I don't think this is the problem, but clean the rec/pb switch with DeoxIT and see if the problem disappears. If the problem does not go away, there's trouble elsewhere.

Look for a loose ground wire on the head shield. This will also cause this.
It should be attached by one of the head mounting screws.

DeOxit magic

Man-o-man PacificSound,

I deoxit'd the switch (PB/REC) and BAM, IT WORKED.
I thought it was a long shot given the condition, but bad connections are bad connections.

Clean up the belts, a little oil on the right places and she's playing away.

That DeOxit is magic.

Seems like a lot of things I get that don't work are mostly just dirty.
The wife asks how I fix things and I tell her "I got the gunk out".

Thanks Guys!

Back
Top Bottom