Yamaha TX-950 signal strength meter

ModernClassic

Would the owner(s) of Yamaha TX-950 ( or 930) tuner share some info for me:
The signal strength only indicates at about 55% at best station but other tuners of mine would have indicated over 75% using the same indoor antenna
The Yami has already been re-aligned.
Thanks in advance.

Well there is only one real way to test the signal strengh function and that is by sending it various level signals from a calibrated signal generator. I wouldn't worry too much about this as long as you still receive the stations you normally do and the noise level seem the same.

You could compare two tuners by switching the antenna between them and see if weak stations sound better on one then the other. There is no 'official' signal strengh calibration standard and reading lower may just mean the the tuner has a higher dynamic range and can handle higher strenght signals without front end overloading.

Lefty

If it is any consolation, I noticed the same with my TX-950. Other tuner's meters will peg while the TX-950 won't pass 50. It receives distant stations and sounds great. I am no expert. I have not had it very long and still don't know all of the tuner's features.

All the Yammie receivers I have had come through here have an adjustment for the signal strength meter, but as has been noted you need a calibrated siggen to set them.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom