Yamaha vs denon av recievers

91firebird

Well after my Yamaha 583 insanity now have a denon 370 with atmos.my first denon av reciever and it
Looks and sounds great.the yamaha 583 just did not seam to work as it should.they said t reads atmos as
Truhd.well the the denon reads it as atmos on the display.well ak members is Yamaha or denon the better
Av reciever or are they equal.both the 583 and 370 have been replaced in the line up.i like them both but
The denon seems to sound and work better.oh well let's get some input Yamaha or denon .

Well just to Jump back in,I spent a week looking at av recievers from a few hundred to well over 1000.00 to 5000.00
Units.ag gets a nice unit.went to the high end shop here in Madison university audio and wow I was blown away by the
Gear they had you could drop 10,000 or more.the staff was great know I was a low rent but still showed me all the
Gear.but anyway if you got the bucks there is some great gear out there.but for the money I have the denon 370 is
All I need.but is nice to go into a high end store and be treated so well.

I went with an av receiver upon my re-entry in to HiFi. My first av was a Yamaha. Initially I liked the Yamaha for its clarity and sound power, but ultimately I was disappointed in it because of its lack for a provision for a turntable. I returned the unit and ultimately I decided to go with an Onkyo unit with Dolby, 7.2 channels and a myriad of functions that I've yet to learn. Despite some comments I've seen on the board, I feel that the av's are as good in sound quality as the traditional two channel receivers of the past. The major advantage I've seen with the av's are the availability of more speaker channels, and more versatility in providing for different media types. I really can't give a positive or negative towards any particular brand, but I'm just sharing some of my experiences this year when I re-entered the hobby. Yamaha has a storied reputation (which was my initial attraction to their unit), but in all fairness one should competitive shop and go with the brand and unit that best meets his or her objective.

Last edited:
One other observation: This is a particularly good time to buy a receiver and/or enter the hobby of high fidelity. Prices for new receivers are very good; I reason that this is because the genre of home fidelity has all but been rendered obsolete due to changing times and the aura of cell phones and other entertainment media. If you are looking for strictly high fidelity amplification, then very good bargains can be had if you shop around. There are several units on the market that offer good to very good sound power (watts) at very reasonable prices. HiFi components are not necessarily out of reach for many.

Last edited:
Denon has a better reputation for getting almost right since home theatre in many different configurations started with just plain old dolby analog HT. We were a Yamaha dealer, and Marantz, B&K, Mcintosh, Pioneer,and all sounded better. Though Yamaha seemed to have more bells and whistles. By the time I retired in 2004 and quit substituting in 2009 Yamaha was still behind Marantz, Pioneer B&K, Mcintosh and Denon. I really can't say about products in the last two years. I bought a New processor and am happy so I have not been shopping. Plus I don't believe in Atmos. If your rear and side spekers are placed properly you don't need the ceiling speakers. You don't see any in Theatre's. But then HT has a different mix than movie theatres. By changing the mix they are trying to force people to buy ceiling speakers. Why don't they change the mix and make us have 5 front speakers? Shush, keep your mouth shut or they will.

Last edited:
Wow sorry my denon is a 730 not a 370. It was replaced by the 740.this 730 is a dam nice unit,used the set up mike set
My front high speakers tried the back center it sounded ok but the front high or presence speakers sound better.it is strange having 4 front speakers 2 low 2 high but it sounds dam good.ran mad max fury road,kong skull island and
Superman vs batman sounds great.the atmos and dtsx are great.was never a big dts fan but the dtsx is nice.a 11.2
System must be wild having the sound move over head bak and forth.you and put some big bucks in home theature
But hell if it takes you to another place flush the world for 2 hours close the door crank,it up subwoofer maxed out
And relaxxxxxx!!!!

Back
Top Bottom