Yamaha vs. Marantz sound??

mike0565

ADS speaker nut
Subscriber
Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of sound that I can expect from a Yammy receiver. Have owned a Pioneer sx 980, a Vector Research 2500, Technics sa 5470. Presently own a Marantz 2265b, an Acurus dia 150, Technics sa303, and some Adcom equipment. It would be driving either PSB 5t's ( if I don't sell them) anyone interested, but more than likely ADS l710's.I would be looking for cr 1020 or higher. Never heard one of the vintage yammy's.:scratch2:

Very clean, as far from Marantz as you can get (literally). Sort of like your Technics, but less warm and more detailed.

Might have the detail of your Adcom without the harsh edge.

That's a nice model Marantz. I don't go warmer than Luxman though.

Haven't heard your speakers so not sure. Never put ported sets on my CR-1020... :no:

and then I traded it. :thumbsdn:

_____________________________For another Yamaha :thmbsp:

I must admit I have very limited knowledge in this field, but after hearing the combination of Yamaha DSP-A2070, Marantz PM7004, Marantz SR6003 & Bryston power amps with Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Diamond floorstanders in stereo mode, this is what I have to say:

Yamaha DSP-A2070 has this incredibly detailed, non fatiguing, natural sound which encompass all the minute details of music you can ever think off & still provide the raw, unadulterated & powerful feel which at times can be more visceral & brutal than a pair of 1000 watts Bryston power amps.

It is the A2070 & PM7004 which do the tussle in terms of SQ.

Marantz PM7004 -> Ok base, excellent mids, excellent highs & meant to be used with bookshelves.

Yamaha DSP-A2070 -> Breath taking & chest thumping base, great mids, excellent highs.

SR6003 is nowhere near to this two in terms of SQ.

I will choose Yamaha over Marantz any day. :thmbsp:

I used to have a Yamaha CR-1040 and have had a Marantz 2325 for decades. The CR-1040 sounded lean to me, by comparison.

Depends what marantz vs what yamaha.
The CR1020 you mentioned - I have never heard a marantz that sounds like it. I would say it sounds similar to a big 50 series pioneer, like a 1050/1250 or an onkyo tx6500/8500.
My opinion is an R yamaha, like an R1000 or R2000 will sound similar to the 2265b marantz.
SA303 technics is the other amp in your list I have heard, and sounds a bit thinner than the 1020 would but similar. Of course the wattage makes a difference and the 1020 has enough to bury the little 303.
The adcom 535 I own sounds similar to a 2230 or any vintage marantz wihtout a B suffix. That is the classic cap coupled sound.
Cool.
Srinath.

I own some of the equipment above: a Yamaha CR-800, a Marantz 2265, a Technics SA-5570, an Adcom GFA 545 and 555, etc.

And I agree with Ruxman above. The Yamaha is more detailed and less warm than the Marantz and similar to the Technics but less warm as well. Marantz and Yamaha are opposite ends of the spectrum IMO. Some would say the Yamaha is more 'accurate' sounding!

And there is no way that an Adcom sounds anything like a Marantz. Adcoms are very detailed up top and some would say a bit too bright (forward)--of course much of that also depends on your pre-amp. The last thing you'll hear from Marantz owners is that their reciever is grainy or revealing up top.

But, in all fairness, the GFA-535 is a slightly different piece.

cnh2

Last edited:
depends on your speakers the most. i would say yamaha is one of the more natural sounding and people find that dull or boring all the time but if accurate sound is what you want, then yamaha can't be beat really. i haven't heard that marantz but i heard they are usually warmer sounding amps and known to be on the bass heavy side but then again dependent on speakers and room.

i would also go yamaha as well cause lot of their amps were known to be insane with low impedance driving especially their big power amps and receivers.they had some heavy hitting kings that are able to drive 1ohm loads if your looking for something insane like that.

So let me get this straight, you want to know if a piece of gear made by a company that started out as an organ maker, then went onto making motorcycles, diversified into archery equipment (to subsequently drop it) and made some stereo gear as a sideline...,

to a piece of gear made by a company that was started by an electronic engineering genius and, in it's history, has made nothing other than some of the best (and now legendary) sounding audio gear ??? :scratch2:

Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of sound that I can expect from a Yammy receiver. Have owned a Pioneer sx 980, a Vector Research 2500, Technics sa 5470. Presently own a Marantz 2265b, an Acurus dia 150, Technics sa303, and some Adcom equipment. It would be driving either PSB 5t's ( if I don't sell them) anyone interested, but more than likely ADS l710's.I would be looking for cr 1020 or higher. Never heard one of the vintage yammy's.:scratch2:

Opinions can run all over the place concerning what you're asking.
They both have made some very good equipment. The only way
to know for sure if you'll like a Yamaha is to get your hands on one
and sample it for yourself, in your own setting.

Companies evolve. Ever play a Yamaha grand piano? How's the key action feel...nice eh? :yes:

...and made some stereo gear as a sideline...,

Sideline? I see. Motorcycles came much later than musical instruments 1887 vs 1954 and were always managed separately.
How many years was the company logo comprised of tuning forks? They always cared about music. Perhaps you don't know much about Torakusu Yamaha...

From a company that builds grand pianos and then used some of the same techniques in their NS-1000 speaker cabinets (lift one or do a rap test), and had a full team of superb materials scientists and modern labs dedicated to sound...far cry from 1887 reed organs to a 70s B-2x VFet amp?

Yep the 60s-70s were competitive, Marantz made some cool gear too. And the consumer was the winner.

has made nothing other than some of the best

Be fair. By the late 80s into the 90s, there was forgettable lightweight plastic crap sporting both these labels sold in discount stores.

Last edited:
Unlike the rest, Yamaha measured their amplifier specifications from the preamplifer input through to the power amp output.
Yamaha built for the pragmatic purist, late '60s Marantz for the image conscious.

I can't comment on Yamaha/Marantz however, I bought a CR-2040 new and bought a DSP -2070 new. (I also bought a Yamaha YZ-465 new)

I gave the A-2070 to my niece & her husband and kept the 2040 as for my needs/uses, (2-channel) the CR-2040 left the 2070 in the dust.

Just trying to add more confusion :D

Edit to clarify: I bought the 2070 when I first dabbled in surround, somewhere around 1994/5? Later on, wanted to try it in 2-ch since it had a remote. Never did like it in that role.

You're comparing a 1970s stereo receiver to 1990s surround receiver? That's an apples-to-apples comparison, for sure.

Either you like the vitage 70's reciever sound-Marantz Yamaha, Pioneer, Technics and of course RS, all had their house sound as well.
A hard comparision to new equipment-not that one is bad or good-it's a preference for sure.

You're comparing a 1970s stereo receiver to 1990s surround receiver? That's an apples-to-apples comparison, for sure.

With no disrespect meant to the one who posted it, I mentioned that to offer a different view to the 2070 as per a prior post.

I primarily used it in surround mode (2 LaScalas/mains, three Academy's as center & front effects, EV Interface D's as rears)

It definatly filled the room with sound and would clearly deafen you.

Later I wanted to go back to 2-channel and if memory serves me, I think it was able to do that.

It's been a while, so regardless if it could NOT do straight 2-channel, I reasoned that if I had a right input it should go to the right main.... left/left so I should be able to cheat & use it as 2-channel

Net reality (for me) was the 2040 had a lot more balls in my situation.

I was trying to present it as a benign comment so it would not be construed as a jerk counter comment to the poster who mentioned the 2070. That was not my intent and hope it didn't/doesn't come across that way.

:thmbsp:

Just to be clear, the Superscope-era Marantz had nothing to do with Saul Marantz except the graphics used on the front panel.

The 2265B is one of my favorites and one of the better sounding Marantz. More detailed, neutral and less warm than the lower WPC Marantz. The SX-950 along with the SX-1050, I thought were brighter and a bit punchy.

I've never had a Yamaha receiver, but have the CA-1010 and had a CA-810 integrated amp. I find them quite neutral sounding of all the vintage stuff I've have/had. Sansui is very close.

I had a pair of 3rd generation ADS L-710s. They were nice. Depending on what kind of sound you like, all of them should do a good job. But that will be up to your preference.

Back
Top Bottom