Yamaha vs. Marantz sound??

So let me get this straight, you want to know if a piece of gear made by a company that started out as an organ maker, then went onto making motorcycles, diversified into archery equipment (to subsequently drop it) and made some stereo gear as a sideline...,

to a piece of gear made by a company that was started by an electronic engineering genius and, in it's history, has made nothing other than some of the best (and now legendary) sounding audio gear ??? :scratch2:

Did you have something positive to add to the thread, or did you just pop in here to threadcrap?

IMHO, A company that started making musical instruments in 1887 and later developed audio gear to accurately play the recorded sound, with a consistent and talented TEAM of engineers, is just as deserving legendary status.

In the end, it's all about the gear, not some perceived status. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

In the end, it's all about the gear, not some perceived status. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

I agree (well, partially), because the other part is that it's also about the music the gear reproduces.

Some people like Yamaha, some like Marantz, some like Sansui, some like Pioneer, then there is the McIntosh crowd and then there even are Technics afficionados. I'm sure that each pair of ears loves the sound their favorite brand of gear makes.

My post was as much tongue-in-cheek as anything else. But hey!, I'm also a fan of Marantz. So I suppose I'm also defending my flag.

But I get it... this is a Yamaha forum, so naturally the OP question should be assumed to be rhetorical. Yamaha rules ! It sounds great to all the people who own Yamaha gear.

My view is that each audio manufacturer made gear with a particular sound signature. Does Marantz sound better than Yamaha? To my ears it does. It sounds warm, and full and romantic, and urbane, and cool. It puts me in a mood and makes me feel good when I listen to my music with a drink in my hand.

Is it clean and faithful? Heck, no! But do I care? No..., I don't want clean and faithful (or clinical, tiresome, boring, shrill, etc). I want it to sound cool, warm, liquid, feminine (like she wants to snuggle not tell me to go clean up after dinner).

IMHO these debates, Yamaha vs Marantz or Gear A vs. Gear B are no different than CDs vs. Vinyl, or Analogue vs. Digital. There is no universal answer, there is only endless debate. But if we're going to ask such questions then we should expect all kinds of answers.

But hey! Sorry if the Yamaha Team got offended.

Lastly, I notice Brutal that you seem to like JBL speakers as much as you like Yamaha gear. Some say that JBL speakers color the sound. So it's entirely possible that the sound you get out of your natural sounding Yamaha gear through your JBL speakers is what I get out of my Marantz gear through my Bozaks :D

(...there I go again, sticking my tongue in my other cheek :nono:)

I enjoyed this post.

It is well written, shows passion, funny at times and shares some interesting views.

Well done.

I have total respect for Yamaha gear, but prefer the sound of vintage Sansui and Marantz.

Cheers.

Snade

I agree (well, partially), because the other part is that it's also about the music the gear reproduces.

Some people like Yamaha, some like Marantz, some like Sansui, some like Pioneer, then there is the McIntosh crowd and then there even are Technics afficionados. I'm sure that each pair of ears loves the sound their favorite brand of gear makes.

My post was as much tongue-in-cheek as anything else. But hey!, I'm also a fan of Marantz. So I suppose I'm also defending my flag.

But I get it... this is a Yamaha forum, so naturally the OP question should be assumed to be rhetorical. Yamaha rules ! It sounds great to all the people who own Yamaha gear.

My view is that each audio manufacturer made gear with a particular sound signature. Does Marantz sound better than Yamaha? To my ears it does. It sounds warm, and full and romantic, and urbane, and cool. It puts me in a mood and makes me feel good when I listen to my music with a drink in my hand.

Is it clean and faithful? Heck, no! But do I care? No..., I don't want clean and faithful (or clinical, tiresome, boring, shrill, etc). I want it to sound cool, warm, liquid, feminine (like she wants to snuggle not tell me to go clean up after dinner).

IMHO these debates, Yamaha vs Marantz or Gear A vs. Gear B are no different than CDs vs. Vinyl, or Analogue vs. Digital. There is no universal answer, there is only endless debate. But if we're going to ask such questions then we should expect all kinds of answers.

But hey! Sorry if the Yamaha Team got offended.

Lastly, I notice Brutal that you seem to like JBL speakers as much as you like Yamaha gear. Some say that JBL speakers color the sound. So it's entirely possible that the sound you get out of your natural sounding Yamaha gear through your JBL speakers is what I get out of my Marantz gear through my Bozaks :D

(...there I go again, sticking my tongue in my other cheek :nono:)

Quiz Question: how many credible brands can carry you entirely from the stylus all the way to the ears better than my:

MC705 --> PX-3 --> C-4 --> M-2 --> NS-1000

----------

Post #22 was an improvement over post #11

I countered the short, emoticonless, overgeneralizing, vague, post #11 in my own way in #13. Ironically, brutal was less brutal and more diplomatic with #21.

Sure I'm in the Yamacamp and will defend that direction--but also defend my Lux and Kenny and Pioneer and Sui and Parasound etc. gear against the dreaded hype machines...

Nope, don't have and don't like tubes, so the 60s Marantz isn't for me. The Lux R-10x0 receivers beat my 2238B so I passed it on to an appreciative new owner.

Last edited:
As a fairly recent convert to vintage Yamaha, all I can say is, I just Luuuuuvvvv the color illuminated buttons!! :smoke: And my g/f does too! With looks like these, who even cares what it sounds like? :D

ThisOne, while I really, really liked the sound of my 2270 and 2215B, my Bozak 401's have never sounded better, than they have through a Yamaha A-1! :thmbsp::D
:music:

And when I was a kid, nothing beat the sound of my Yamaha Mini Enduro at full gallop! :D

Attachments

• yamaha-60-mini-enduro.jpg
    yamaha-60-mini-enduro.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
But it's the journey...not the destination!

'Cause you know, no one 'round here can buy just 'one' of anything. :D

Well, Luxman is like parachuting right down onto the place from the first class cabin of a Boeing 777, preferably Virgin Atlantic as they have awesome first class, and Marantz is like taking a pogo stick. I mean, you're right..they both get you there.

har-har.

You can cross-reference my post with my recent post in the 'amps you have' thread, and realize that i'm full of it....I didn't stop at Luxman or Marantz, and it was a fun journey. I actually run modern Marantz and vintage Luxman right now, in 2 of my 3 systems.

As aluded to-the gear is merly a means to a end-the end being music of course.
Sure interaction is part of it- and this can be more important to some then others.
But in the end, if it doesn't sound the way you like, the gear has little value to your system.
Some prefer vintage, modern or a mix of both. Opinions are just that- you need to experiment and find the right fit(s). That's half the fun, be it new or used gear.
Used gear has the advantage of being more affordable-new gear-warranty and all, and usually has the benefit of the 30 trail period as well.
Pick your poison and enjoy!:beer::music:

This collector (me) isn't a means to an ender type. Sometimes they just look cool! :D

Ask Apple or your architect about necessities vs. embellishments in design.

But I let all four of my Marantzes go to people who liked them more. I like my Luxmans more, and they're still around.

So let me get this straight, you want to know if a piece of gear made by a company that started out as an organ maker, then went onto making motorcycles, diversified into archery equipment (to subsequently drop it) and made some stereo gear as a sideline...,

to a piece of gear made by a company that was started by an electronic engineering genius and, in it's history, has made nothing other than some of the best (and now legendary) sounding audio gear ??? :scratch2:

Yah, ...and don't forget the B-2 or CT-7000.
... of course, ASSUMING you've heard of them.

Oh, and they make one fine motorcycle.
Not to mention their pianos and saxohpones.
And this is coming from a Marantz owner, en mas.

The B-2 and CT-7000 are both supurb...
as are Marantz amps, tuners and receivers.
Yamaha is very capable; but, if you're looking for a 'vintage' receiver I'd recommend Marantz.
I, personally, prefer the Model 18 and 19, followed by the Model 2270 and 2245.
These would, of course, need a full restoration to sound their best. Capacators all dry out in time.
As to the sound... that would very much depend on condition. Beyond that it all gets very subjective.

Last edited:

Legendary? Marantz is like pop music. Easy to listen to and "everyone" "likes" it. But that doesn't mean it is good! Quite the opposite! Few appreciate "real" quality, and the best of everything is always an obscure underdog. Generally, the more popular something is, the worse it is, compared to its "alternatives". Marantz has never made the "best" of anything.

I think this thread has wandered so far off the OP request and truned ugly enough that everyone needs to stop and think about where and, more importantly what, you are posting.

Just my $.02

I think this thread has wandered so far off the OP request and truned ugly enough that everyone needs to stop and think about where and, more importantly what, you are posting.

Just my $.02

Yup. Music is entertainment, that means it's all supposed to be fun. Thank God that there is/was enough demand that there wound up being so many manufacturers to bash, er I mean choose from.

Just my $.02

Yeah... it amazes me how people go off on their own tangent.

Anyways, I'd pick Yamaha for the sound and I collected Marantz.

Just my $.02

Totally agree-like the Ford vs Chevy debate-or even politics-too many people want others to think their way-makes no sense at all. Shows a lack of respect at the very least. Nothing to be gained by it.
The OP was looking for "sound" advise, not trash talk-plenty of forums for that-all audio with no attitude.......

Back
Top Bottom