Yamaha WXC-50 question

Does that mean I can not use a USB-to-TOS link converter to run music from the laptop to the Yamaha

No; it means you can't connect your PC's USB to the Yamaha's USB.

You can connect a USB to SPDIF converter to your PC's USB, and connect the SPDIF to the optical input of the Yamaha.

My 2 cents. Try the CCA, not much money outlay and if not what you were hoping for, use it
in another system and get the WXC.

I have been researching the WXC-50 and I am on the verge of finally pulling the trigger.

I currently have an extremely non-ideal set-up which feeds signals from a desktop computer headphone jack to my Hafler DH110 preamp, which is connected to a DH220 amp.

I would like to confirm that my intended plan with the WXC-50 will work:
1) Store all music files on a laptop, which would be linked by wi-fi to the Yamaha WXC-50, which would be wired to the DH220 amp.
2) Have the ability to control the music (song selection and volume) from EITHER my laptop or through the musicast app on my phone.

Can someone let me know if this is feasible - particularly being able to control the music from the laptop. All the articles I have read only seem to talk about controlling through the phone app.

Thanks.
There is a webpage interface to the WXC-50. I use it all the time from my laptop.

Screenshot from 2018-11-21 20-02-05.png

Thanks for the heads up on the webpage interface and CCA sale.

I have not had enough time to do my final research because of some other distractions. I also stumbled upon the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, which is comparable in price to the WXC-50.

I would have to add the $75 BT100 for the Cambridge to provide the wireless connection and streaming of files from a remote laptop. It looks like the main feature loss with the Cambridge would be that I could not "cast" music to a remote speaker (which my wife wants to have).

But maybe that is not such a big deal because she does not care much about sound quality anyway, and I could buy her a Bluetooth speaker to link to her phone and ipad.

Maybe I am splitting hairs, but would the Cambridge be expected to sound better than the Yamaha?

I need to do a little more research I guess, but I am still open to comments. Thanks.

BT100 is Bluetooth which means quality loss. You will also need a Bluetooth adapter on your laptop. Apart from Bluetooth the CA DAC is decent but for streaming Yamaha is better. You could use the DacMagic with the CCA though, just avoid Bluetooth if you can.

Thanks for the heads up on the webpage interface and CCA sale.

I have not had enough time to do my final research because of some other distractions. I also stumbled upon the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, which is comparable in price to the WXC-50.

I would have to add the $75 BT100 for the Cambridge to provide the wireless connection and streaming of files from a remote laptop. It looks like the main feature loss with the Cambridge would be that I could not "cast" music to a remote speaker (which my wife wants to have).

But maybe that is not such a big deal because she does not care much about sound quality anyway, and I could buy her a Bluetooth speaker to link to her phone and ipad.

Maybe I am splitting hairs, but would the Cambridge be expected to sound better than the Yamaha?

I need to do a little more research I guess, but I am still open to comments. Thanks.
As was mentioned, the DacMagic looks like it only streams Bluetooth. Personally, I have the CCA (which I rarely use) hooked up to my WXC-50, but I typically just Airplay to the WXC-50. That makes it work with iTunes or any app on my iPhone. The CCA is limited on the iPhone because it only works with apps that Casting supports. It may not be a big deal if you work with supported apps, though. Also, if you ever decide to move to DSD or 24/192 files, they are supported on the WXC-50 and they aren't supported on the CCA.

Outside of that, the WXC-50 is a much more flexible piece of equipment which is why the CCA costs a lot less. However, if the CCA does what you need, there really isn't a point in spending more. However, the Yamaha also works as a DAC, which you may want later if you don't like the DACs in the CCA. Just comes down to what you need and what will make you happy.

Is an example of this type of converter a Topping D10?

Right, but it is also or rather mainly a DAC, if you hook it up to your PC/laptop directly you might just use it as a DAC and I believe it supports digital lossless volume control from the PC when used as a DAC, more research is needed though on this. There are others too that don't have a DAC in the same box, but the D10 probably is the best value given the functionality and performance.

If you have an old unused PC laying around you can turn it into a streamer box. Load Volumio or Daphile on it, get a Topping D10 or a better DAC and call it a day.

i have had 2 WXC -50’s for over a year now .
Have them both plugged directly into power amps ...using in pre-amp mode.
Laptop interface works as well as iPhone app.

Parasound A-21 powering Polk sda1c’s
B&K ex-442 powering Boston Acoustic voyager 70’s on patio/pool .

I use them for SiriusXM and Tidal HIFI .....
They work awesome .... I’m more than happy with them ....
All I need for music ..
TIDAL HIFI sounds fantastic...

Bk

The WXC-50 is in the house! I got it hooked up, and I have it running with Pandora right now. It is nice to be able to control the music through the smartphone.

I don't know how to play music from my desktop computer. Right now, my desktop is wired directly to the router. The WXC-50 is linked to the router. But when I check the server section on the musiccast app, the music does not show up.

I am probably missing a simple step, but I don't know what to try next.

Also, if I run a wire directly from router to WXC-50, will I still be able to control the music through the smartphone?

My long-term plans are to cast music from my laptop. Should I link the laptop to the router, or to the WXC-50?

I should have googled that term first. Looks like I found an article with some good information. I have some more reading to do this weekend!

Does iTunes qualify as a "DLNA server"? If not, can you give me an example of a decent one?

Since DLNA is a direct competitor to Apple's Airplay, that's unlikely.

Have a look at the capabilities of your router; many of them have a USB socket that you can plug a USB HDD into, and have it create a file server and a DLNA media server.

If not, MediaMonkey will provide a DLNA server, as well as a good media manager/player. MusicBee with the UPnP/DLNA plugin also provides a DLNA server, and, again, a good media manager/player. Both are free, and are better media manager/players than the PC version of iTunes, IME, which I found to be an awful pile of poorly-functioning bloatware.

Personally, I prefer not to need my PC running to access my media library, so it is stored on a NAS, which provides file and media servers.

WXC-50 supports Airplay, so in theory it should work with iTunes. I've never used iTunes but I suspect it should see the Yamaha as a playback device or maybe you can see iTunes in MusicCast, try that before DLNA.

I have had mine a week hooked to a sprakercraft stereo amp and my TV.
Alexa works and I love the control with my phone. Spotify sounds good I'm not unhappy with the preamp either. It's late 2019 so there have been some software updates.

Your best option is is to use Mconnect app ( free or paid ) on an iPhone or android .....
It will play everything to the wxc50 via UpNP - iTunes , tidal ( MQA first unfold ) , etc .....

Works great

Bk

Got a wxc50 for my birthday, it's pretty sweet! So far it's main purpose has been as a dac and preamp using the optical out from my TV. The difference in sound quality from the headphone out on the tv, and mixing board as a preamp is HUGE. I have it driving the main amp in my sx1250. Even got the volume buttons on my direct tv remote to control it. First code under Yamaha.

Connecting my phone to it using the app was infuriating. It kept failing no matter how I configured my router. Finally, I used the wired connection, set my router to only hand out one dhcp address, and connected via the web interface. From there I was able to setup the wifi, and the app connected first try.

Got a few internet radio stations setup in it. Obviously, 22khz mp3 quality isn't great, but it's not as terrible as I thought. Probably going to do spotify. I'll post more as I tinker with it, but so far I like it.

Back
Top Bottom