1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha YP-B4 and AT95EX

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by SuperLead100, Nov 4, 2018.

1. SuperLead100

SuperLead100 "These go to 11"

Well, I'm going to try listening to vinyl again and I currently have the YP-B4. About two years ago my niece pushed the start button on the table with no record on it and proceeded to ruin the needle. It looked like it was a cheap cartridge anyway. I thought a good replacement would be the Audio Technica AT95EX; it is ~$60. I'd like to keep the price in this range. Are there any other options I should consider before I go for the AT?

Thanks,
    Joe

avionic likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Ooouch.
    Reminds me of a time about 35 years ago. Had a Yamaha P-750 with a Shure V15 type V. Some friends came over to visit with a 2 year old toddler. The dust cover was up and the V15 stylii lasted less than 30 seconds after the little shit hit the floor.:mad:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    brunomarcs likes this.
  3. SuperLead100

Yeah, you understand my pain then! I saw it happen as if it was in slow motion. I looked to my left and see her kneeling in front of the table and she's watching the arm moving over the platter...I shot out of my seat and made a bee line over there but was too late. It was all I could do from shouting "what the f...!". :eek:

avionic likes this.
  4. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

What was the cartridge with the ruined needle/stylus on it?

You may be able to replace the stylus or get a better stylus for the same cartridge. :idea:

5. SuperLead100

Good question! It was red with a yellow dot...no name. It came with the table when I got it; it wasn't used much at all before the aforementioned niece story. I did end up ordering a Audio Technica AT-VM95E. My understanding is that it is the new version of the AT95e with increased output. My plan is to run it through the CA-800 and NS-670's.
    Are you familiar with what the old cartridge might be?

Balifly likes this.
  6. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

Some close up pictures of the cartridge would help if you are interested in replacing the stylus in the future. :)

Please register to disable this ad.