Yamaha YP-D8 and a moving coil

Rivercat

We're starting to look at a moving coil cartridge for the Yamaha turntable that we have and I figured I'd come here to get some opinions. My dad used to have one on this turntable back in the day and has talked about getting another one for years, so now we just want to figure out which one to go with.
I've casually looked on crutchfield and it looks like there is only one option there (sumiko blue point #2). My question is, does anyone have any experience with this cartridge? Are there any others that would be better suited for this turntable? Better price, quality for the price, etc?
Also, this turntable is hooked up to a pair of Klipsch La Scalas.
Not sure if I should post this in th turntable section or the Yamaha section, so I'll just do both.

The BP #2 is a High Output MC. So if you do go with that you would use the MM input on your preamp.

Look at the Denon Low output MC carts, they are not too expensive and from what I hear others say are really nice carts. Something like the D103 etc.

But if your Preamp only has MM input then also look at the the Denon DL110, it too is a HO MC like the BP #2.

Also look at the Ortofon carts .

The Needle Doctor has a much larger selection of Carts that Crutchfield.

Nashou

Thank you for the input on this, I forgot to add a few details that gives people a little more info. The receiver is a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1060 with an NAD PP-e2 preamp. This preamp does have both a MM and MC setting.

What is your budget? The Denon DL-301 mkII is a nice LOMC that can be found at a great price. I found mine for less than $250. New Audio United is where I purchased both of mine. Another one is the Audio Technica AT-09C/III. More expensive with a more refined high frequency response. I have heard the Hana cartridges are supposed to have a very refined sound and a great value Also zyx cartridges are reviewed well on this site although I have not tried them yet.

Looking to keep it under $500 for sure. If I can find something that is highly rated for more in the $300 range, that'd be great.

I have the "simple" Denon DL-103 on my YP-D71 for over a year now, and I don't feel the urge to change it. I'd recommend you start with this one. I used a Shibata MM before (AT12S) on the same table and don't miss it.

For under 500 you can get an Audio Technica oc9ml/ii. I have both the Denon DL-103 and the OC9 is SO MUCH BETTER! Way more detail than the Denon. The Denon is a good cart for the money and I did enjoy it until I heard the OC9. If you can swing it the OC9 is just better. I have ran the OC9 on my PX3, PX2, and now my GT-2000L with zero issues.

On the Oc9, I see there is a version 2 and now a version 3 both available. Does anyone have experience with the new version?
Turntableneedles.com has version 2 on sale for $350 from $400, but version 3 is on sale for $490 from $800, so based purely on msrp, seems like the version 3 might be quite a bit nicer.

On the Oc9, I see there is a version 2 and now a version 3 both available. Does anyone have experience with the new version?
Turntableneedles.com has version 2 on sale for $350 from $400, but version 3 is on sale for $490 from $800, so based purely on msrp, seems like the version 3 might be quite a bit nicer.

Different cantilever, different compliance....etc.

Which ever you choose, make sure that is the best match for the tone arm. :idea:

Back
Top Bottom