Yamaha's RX-A3040 Receiver and Dolby Atmo?

bergun

I know that Yamaha's RX-A3040 audio/video receiver is Dolby Atmos ready, but requires firmware update. Since this is the case, I was wondering when Yamaha will start shipping out their upgraded RX-A3040 receivers that are already loaded with Atmos software at the factory?

I'm sure that uploading the firmware wouldn't be that hard, but I'm a little old school and this will only be my second multi channel Audio/Video receiver and I want to keep things as simple as possible.

Btw, does anybody have a RX-A3040 receiver and if so, what do you think of it when in the two-channel music mode? I just read the review in the British magazine, What Hi *Fi? Sound and Vision, on Yamaha's RX-A1040 and they were only so-so with its audio performance. But, it was the RX-A1040, not the RX-A3040.

Thanks!!

The firmware updates are simple. Plug the AVR into your router, or enable the built-in WiFi and connect to your wireless network. Then initiate the update from the menus.

If you can buy this receiver, get it connected, and get it set up and running, you can do the firmware update. It's not like the old days where you needed a computer, maybe configuring a port, some sort of cable, and running a program to do it. It's like skriefal said...pretty much plug and play in this regard. It's probably set by default to notify you of updates so you just press the "OK" button (or whatever) on the remote.

When I got my Yamaha ht receiver, it came needing a firmware update. Nothin' to it but it does take about 20 minutes.

As far as What Hi Fi says about anything, I wouldn't worry about it too much. They tend to use a lot of ill-described terms that really don't mean much. "Not immersive enough." What?

Listening to iTunes via Airplay on my 2030 right not and really enjoying it. Also sounds great listening to CD through a blu-ray player. Two channel. Couldn't be happier.

Murray

Get use to doing updates. About once a year my TV, amp or DVD player needs one. My new 60" sony just had it's second one since November. I finally hard wired both AV set ups, cat-5 from router > 5 port GB switch > tv, amp & DVD. Stream netflix & Amazon to TVs, pandora to amps.

In the process of binge watching The Wire in HD, 5.1 Dolby. Used 200 GB of data this month.

Last edited:
Also if for some reason you are not wifi/wire connected you can download the file from the Yamaha site to a USB drive and plug it into the USB port on the receiver. I did that recently for my A730 before it was wired to my network. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom