yamahas to use as a preamp instead of a actual yamaha pre? which ones are good?

I don't have any specific recommendation but whatever models you're looking at make sure it has a pre in/out rather than a processor in/out.
If it's the latter, the loop is before the volume control and won't be usable with an external amp. It's more for an equalizer or something like that.

The only thing that I would have against using an AV amp/receiver is that they generally have less channel separation than a straight 2-channel amp. (Imaging will suffer as compared to a 2-channel amp)

Unless you really need a tuner I'd recommend looking at an integrated amp. I can't give you any specifics concerning the CA-xxx series because I have no experience with them, but I believe they have the same type of pre-in/main-out as the CR-xxx receivers. Personally I view not having a tuner built in as a plus as there is less to go wrong or need servicing.

The first of the '90s+ integrateds that have true pre-out/main-in are the AX-550, 750, 1050. Then the AX-570, 870 and 1070 and the AX-590/890/1090 series. All of these will do what you want and have MM/MC phono inputs. All of these also support a remote.

The AX series before that point, and all of the "A" series (A-500, 700, 100 & A-520, 720, & 1020 and A-550, 560 etc) will NOT do what you want because they only have an "Accessory Out/In" that is as OMGCat states, before the volume control, or no such jumpers at all. I'm not sure about the AX-592/596, and afaik none of the AX-300 and AX-400 series will work for you (botl).

The best way for you to know exactly what will work for you is to go to HiFi Engine and start downloading owners/service manuals and make a list.

Cheers,
James

How about an RX-777. I used one as a pre amp briefly for my M-70 when l had it, seemed to do a pretty good job, certainly isn't as good as as a dedicated pre amp but can be picked up relatively cheaply and you gain a tuner also. They use good quality caps etc as well.

I often use the pre-amp section of the CA-2010 when testing/running in newly rebuild power (VFET) amps, as the CA-2010 is the permanent system in my workroom anyway.
Good detailed, fast, clear and spacious sound; it never stops surprising me how good it actually sounds (even when that 2010 is still not rebuilt at all..... one day I'll come to that).

Lot of controls possible; big plus.
But that is also its weak point: all those controls need to be clean(ed) and working properly.

Check out any Yamaha flagship home theater receiver with Pure Direct mode. These are very high quality, low distortion units that allow you to turn off all video/audio processing circuitry to provide a clean, direct path for analog and digital signals. Very underrated as audio components and usually available at very cheap prices because they are outdated for home theater use.

Back
Top Bottom