Yamaho RS-500

bluescat

My daughters RS-500 suffered water damage when the apt. above hers flooded. It seems to work fine with headphones, but as soon as I connect a pair of speakers, it goes into protection. Unhook the speakers and re-plug the headphones and it works again. The nearest repair facility is about 100 miles from here. I was wondering if anyone here might have any ideas on how to repair this unit. Thanks!

EDIT: The unit shut down with only headphones connected, but it only works for about an hour, compared to instantaneous shut down with speakers hooked up.

Last edited:
Probably a shorted output transistor. First thing I'd check is the serviceability of Q115 A & C
and Q117 A & C..

Last edited:
Avionic, thanks for your response! I should give you a few more details. This actually happened a couple of years ago, I put it away and am just getting around to looking into it again.
When this first happened, I opened it up and put a fan on the unit for a few days to dry everything out. When I was sure it was dry, I hooked it up and everything seemed to work, for a couple of hours. When it quit working again I put the fan on it again for a few days and it worked for awhile. When it quit the second time I put it in a closet and forgot about it till today. I hooked it up today with only headphones and it worked for about an hour or so, so I tried speakers and it immediately went into protection. I unhooked the speakers and plugged the headphones back in and it worked for a few minutes, before going into protection. I just tried it again with headphone only after sitting 4hours, and it still goes into protection immediately.
I will open it up again tomorrow and look at the outputs. I have only worked on older units, and may need some guidance. Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom