Yammie NS-690s! only $75; 1 woofer bad; DC CL

Saw that ad. I worried that they might be bought and parted-out given the price. The look in beautiful condition. If I didn't already have NS-1000Ms I would have put in a bid.

Well, the NS690's are in the house. The cabinets are very clean, the Grill cloths are in nice shape but one Yamaha name plate is missing, and indeed the one woofer is locked up, I am hoping it is the infamous magnet shift and that the seller did not try and force the cone, I will see when I open it up. Other than the woofer issue, I would rate them a 8.5/10 as they are very nice condition. Seeing the vented dust caps on the woofers, I was hoping the were MKI's, but they must be early MkII's with the MkI woofers as there are no Tri- amp connectors in the middle of the back that my MkI's have.

Stand up seller who turned down several higher offers after I committed to pick them up this morning. It was a long drive in heavy traffic, but certainly doable, and glad I did make the trip.

There won't be much to refurb other than the woofer as they are in that nice a condition, and the pots on the tweeters and midrange drivers are fairly noise free other than the tweeter control on the speaker with the bad woofer. The wife asked why the Yamaha speakers from upstairs are in the back of my car as she was leaving and I was coming in.:rolleyes:

I believe @merrylander has a jig to realign the magnet on the woofer, I give him a call as I owe him lunch anyway.

Regards,
Jim

Wow - they look gorgeous! And the price is quite nice!

Well, the NS690's are in the house. The cabinets are very clean, the Grill cloths are in nice shape but one Yamaha name plate is missing, and indeed the one woofer is locked up, I am hoping it is the infamous magnet shift and that the seller did not try and force the cone, I will see when I open it up. Other than the woofer issue, I would rate them a 8.5/10 as they are very nice condition. Seeing the vented dust caps on the woofers, I was hoping the were MKI's, but they must be early MkII's with the MkI woofers as there are no Tri- amp connectors in the middle of the back that my MkI's have.

Stand up seller who turned down several higher offers after I committed to pick them up this morning. It was a long drive in heavy traffic, but certainly doable, and glad I did make the trip.

There won't be much to refurb other than the woofer as they are in that nice a condition, and the pots on the tweeters and midrange drivers are fairly noise free other than the tweeter control on the speaker with the bad woofer. The wife asked why the Yamaha speakers from upstairs are in the back of my car as she was leaving and I was coming in.:rolleyes:

I believe @merrylander has a jig to realign the magnet on the woofer, I give him a call as I owe him lunch anyway.

Regards,
Jim

Congrats to you.
And nice to hear about a seller who deals with people like I deal with people. I wish that was a more common place happening.

My plan is to swap the bad woofer with a functioning one from my MkI's then use the MkII's while I refinish the cabinets on the MkI's, and fix the bad woofer on the MkII's. I will then then a/b them and then decide which pair stays in the Vintage rig, and which pair moves to the Living room system driven by the Yamaha CA-800 being updated by Avionic. Blessed to have these decisions!
We shall see,
Jim

Congrats to you.
And nice to hear about a seller who deals with people like I deal with people. I wish that was a more common place happening.

I have to say it was very refreshing, and if I do have to source a Woofer and Tweeter for the one cabinet it was still a fair price due to condition.
Regards,
Jim

I've been able to fix those shifted magnet Yamaha woofers without a jig in as little as a few minutes effort.
I make a nice dust cap cut leaving a tab so as to drop down and reglue.
Then simply place the magnet in a table vice, tighten enough to be able to steer the frame away from the voice coil pinch against the pole piece.
I have some shims ready to keep the voice coil centered.
Spot weld the magnet to the basket with some very fast dry epoxy. Add more epoxy to further secure.
Once dry remove the shims and glue the dust cap.

I hope to make the change tomorrow, and will post pics then.
Regards,
Jim

Give Rob our best when you see him.

We'll check back for the update on the speakers.

+1 on giving Rob our best. Great guy who I'm sure is missing his beloved this time of year.

Good score on those Yamahas. I no longer listen to my own, as I have some other things, but they are a very special speaker in my stable.

And yes, pics are good.

Back
Top Bottom