Yammie TX-1000 RF coils?

bastek

So stupid of me! I broke the ferrite cores on two FM RF Coils trying to adjust them with a metal hex driver. :nono:
Are these available from electronics parts stores? Yamaha told me these parts are no longer available, are all TX tuners use similar parts?
i do have the diagram and part numbers but i come with no results.

I had to replace the core on my TX-950. I found a good one in an old Kenwood tuner that I was parting out. Look around to components with RF circuitry--tuners, even VCR's, etc.

This is a lesson I learned the hard way also!

I took apart 3 VCRs, but all the ferrite cores are too small. Part # are:
T1: VF429300
T2: VF429600
T3: VF429800
T4: VF430100
T8: VF430800

it breaks my heart to dump this tuner. I' m going to get a Sony F1HD for $49 after rebate, to get my feet wet in HD Radio. Not worth the trouble and effort to fix this. :tears:

How do you get the old slugs out? I have a tuning slug that is cracked in one of the coils in my TX-950 tuner. I have slugs, if I could get the old one out without damaging the coil.
I did find that Coilcraft makes adjustable coils:
http://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/slot7.pdf
There is a 10mm size also.

Warren,

How do you get the old slugs out?

Very carefully (seriously). To begin I used a small drill about the size of the adjusting hole. Then a little larger one, progressively, until the ferrite slug breaks up. To get rid of the debis remaining inside of the coil form you will probably need to turn the unit upside down and shake it.

With two tuning slugs in the coil (upper and lower) be careful to go only about a 1/4 inch deep with the drill bit. A small drill like a Dremel is, of couse, easier to work with. After drilling out the slug, use a small flashlight to check inside the coil to determine if any small pieces are still adhering to the inside wall of the coil form. If so, use a toothpick to dislodge them.

When I had the same problem with my TX-950, I was able to go in with a tiny screwdriver and chip away at the old slug until it broke up. It took some patience and persistence, but it finally came out.

So....if you have to drill and or chip the old slug out, how do you get the new one in while it's intact?

The problem is solved when you get the old slug out. What happens is it cracks for whatever reason, and then when you put a tool into it, the slug spreads out and locks in the tube. Get the slug out and all debris, and it should be like new. Thanks for the tips, guys! Should have thought of a drill!:thmbsp:

The new slug should "screw" down into the coil. Just be careful with them, especially if they feel stiff when turning!

Whatever you do, don't junk the TX-1000 over a broken ferrite. They are easy to replace and find. You just need to find a similar diameter new coil and take the ferrite from it. It's usually a common size.

I usually remove the coil itself, i.e. desolder it from the board, then work on it from the other side. Sometimes they come right out from the other direction. Or as other said, break it up with a small needlenose pliers or screwdriver.

So stupid of me! I broke the ferrite cores on two FM RF Coils trying to adjust them with a metal hex driver. :nono:
Are these available from electronics parts stores? Yamaha told me these parts are no longer available, are all TX tuners use similar parts?
i do have the diagram and part numbers but i come with no results.

What’s the length and diameter of the slugs?
Pics of the coil and slug may also prove useful.

These are under the shield, T3 and T4, T4 has a slug in it but its not the right size.
coils2.jpg

coils1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom