Yammy remote cntl volume driving me insane

I've had experiences where a nearby plasma monitor or certain lamp types will flood IR receivers and cause the symptoms you're describing (especially if you're using a "Dinky Link" or IR extender). Try it with TV and local lighting off, see if that's the culprit.

Good luck.

je

I've had experiences where a nearby plasma monitor or certain lamp types will flood IR receivers and cause the symptoms you're describing (especially if you're using a "Dinky Link" or IR extender). Try it with TV and local lighting off, see if that's the culprit.

Good luck.

je

YOU BIG DUMMY!!!

Sorry, Fred. I just couldn't resist! I used to love that show.
Really...thanks for the help.

That's funny- my first thought was, "Hey, I'm not big..."

je

I was afraid of that. Actually you should be calling me big dummy.
That's interesting about the curly-fry fluorescents. I'm starting to think the line filter has solved my problem...no sticking in the last few days. Even that repairman said I was a big dummy for thinking that would make a difference.

I was afraid of that. Actually you should be calling me big dummy.
That's interesting about the curly-fry fluorescents. I'm starting to think the line filter has solved my problem...no sticking in the last few days. Even that repairman said I was a big dummy for thinking that would make a difference.

It's OK, 'cause my second thought was, "Hey, my name's not Fred..."

I didn't say the curly-fry bulbs, never tried them. I've had it with the big commercial fluorescents- like, you have a big demo in a conference room to show off all the cool control stuff you can program, and everything 232 works but everything IR glitches...that kind of thing.

The dinky-link and plasma issues happen all the time, too- and those dinky-links ARE sensitive to correct voltages- to the point that I've had to lower the voltages of their supplies to make them LESS sensitive if a plasma is around. Filters have been developed that work well, too.

je

BIG UPDATE: Right back where I started...:mad:
Had this thing set up in my study and for the most part it worked fine with the Monster filter. Used it there for a couple of weeks, then moved it back where it was to begin with, in the "theater" room, this time with the Monster power center. It MAY be working a little better than before, but still gets stuck. :tears:

Now why would this setup work fine in the adjacent room?:scratch2:

What's the difference with lighting? Flooded with sunlight? No UV filtering on the windows? Different lamps?

je

What's the difference with lighting? Flooded with sunlight? No UV filtering on the windows? Different lamps?

je

I think Aunt Esther's face is scaring it.
Seriously, I think you're getting at the remote control system, but that whole circuit is still apparently working. I'm getting confirmation every time I hit the volume, but the knob gets stuck it seems.

I think Aunt Esther's face is scaring it.
Seriously, I think you're getting at the remote control system, but that whole circuit is still apparently working. I'm getting confirmation every time I hit the volume, but the knob gets stuck it seems.

Gotcha, I must have missed where you posted that you get on-screen confirmation of the exact command you're sending. That is weird.

You know, I think I've got a remote for your unit here somewhere, give me a minute.

je

Is this the remote?

Yeah, unfortunately, it sounds like your motorized volume knob might be the issue- it works when you spin the knob (display and all), but only displays the correct command when the remote is pressed, but doesn't change the setting?

je

Attachments

• YamRemote (Medium).jpg
    YamRemote (Medium).jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 5
Wrong on 1, right on 2.

This remote is a big ugly silver thing with a front that's really a cover that opens to reveal a whole set of controls to program it.

Since it acts differently each time it's moved, I'm about to get rough with it. If this continues I'll get my boy's aluminum baseball bat...

Back
Top Bottom