Yaqin CD2/CD3 Tube Buffer & System Placement

btol

Hi All,

Thinking about purchasing either a Yaqin CD2 or CD3 tube buffer. I'd greatly appreciate any opinions on either unit. I'm leaning towards the CD2 now mostly because of price point. The CD3 is more expensive to begin with and it sounds like tube rolling will be more expensive as well (due to pricier 6sn7 tubes). What would you personally go with?

I'd also greatly appreciate any input on whether it would work well between a CD player (Onkyo DX 1600) and a receiver (either Marantz 2220 or Pioneer SX 780). All the glowing reviews of either buffer seem like people have them placed between the pre-amp and amp. Will placing the buffer between the player and receiver just be a waste of money or has anyone else tried this setup to positive effect?

I've had the cd2 model. In one setup, with a chip amp and set of 6" fostex full range speakers, I thought it added a very pleasant dimension to the sound. In another with a conventional amp and small set of 2 ways I thought it was a wash, with both good and bad aspects. If I were looking to buy something with tubes now I would buy a preamp or maybe one of the $280 SET amps from SiliconeRay who advertises in the vendor section here. The Yaqin is a fun toy but I don't have mine anymore, for what that is worth.

Thanks for the input!

I've been checking out the SET Amps on Silicon Ray's site and have been looking around at various threads/reviews. Do you have one yourself? What has your experience been?

It looks like they are offered either as kits or assembled for $60 or so extra. I'd need to have it assembled by them if I were to get one since I have no DIY experience other than a deoxit job on one of my receivers. I'm looking at this one in particular for a total price of $281 assembled and shipped: http://www.siliconray.com/audio-ama...ice-6p3p-single-ended-tube-amplifier-kit.html. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I've been using my CD2 right after my DAC, but I think I'll try it between my preamp and amp soon. Most of the positive reviews on the CD2 seem to be installed in that location.

Turns out that running it between the pre and power amp was a better way to go, at least for me. And I think the OP was right about tube rolling, it is much cheaper with the CD2. Just search on eBay for Yaqin CD2 NOS tubes and you'll see some inexpensive options pop up. I'm using a set of GEs that I bought on eBay which made a big difference from the stock tubes.

I have the Yaqin CD2 between my DAC and the CD input of my integrated amp. I've been tube rolling and found older NOS or even used tubes from the 50s and 60s sound the best.

I bought a variety of tubes off ebay. Sylvania, RCA, GE, Westinghouse 5654 tubes. The Chinese 6J1 is the same as 5654 USA tubes. There are numerous other substitutes as well. And all are cheap.

The presentation is very enjoyable. It adds some depth, warmth and presence to the sonic image. Vocals are nicely enhanced. Whether that is "Hi-Fidelity" or not is up to you to judge.

I like it.

My advice is to get rid of the stock Chinese tubes though.

Jim:

Does your integrated have a preout/main in loop where you could try it? Amen to your comment on the NOS tubes. I found the 6J1 tubes that shipped with the device rather flat and dull.

Yes, I have a pre-out main-in on my Integrated. I haven't tried the comparison of the tube buffer between pre-and-amp with the tube buffer between DAC-and-pre.

I will try that soon though.

I guess you could also try it in the tape loop. That, theoretically, would allow you to instantaneously switch back and forth to hear the difference it makes.

Here are some kewl 5 pack of NOS Westinghouse 5654/6AK5W tubes for $11 shipped from the bay.

Attachments

• westinghse.jpg
    westinghse.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 81
That's nice! Have you tried any other brands? Seems to me I've seen some RCA, GE and Sylvania tubes fairly cheap on the bay as well.

That's nice! Have you tried any other brands? Seems to me I've seen some RCA, GE and Sylvania tubes fairly cheap on the bay as well.

Yes, I've tried all of the above and more. They all have a slightly different character. I can't really say which is "better". I like all of them.

I just got the Westinghouse tubes thru the mail; haven't tried them yet.

I guess you could also try it in the tape loop. That, theoretically, would allow you to instantaneously switch back and forth to hear the difference it makes.

I would also suggest a tape loop. I hooked mine (actually a GF) in between my CD player and reciever. Loved what it did for my CDs until I hit a couple that I didn't like the effect on. Works great for toning down the harsh CDs, but it will also tone down the ones that were perfect without it - making them worse instead of better. Unfortunately, anything that makes one CD (or record, or file) sound better will have the opposite effect on material that already sounds great without it.

OK. you guys convinced me. I moved the in-out of the Yaqin to the out-in of the Tape Monitor of my PM8004.

Last edited:
What did you think of the change?

Although the Marantz PM8004 has two in-out tape loops (Record 1 and 2) it does not have a tape monitor button.

The tape out will record whatever source is selected. If I select "CD" I hear my DAC. The "out" goes to the recorder. But if I select "Record 1" I hear silence because there is no signal being inputed into Tape 1. "Record 1 and 2" are just another input with no way to monitor it.

Long story short, it can't be done.

Back
Top Bottom