Yaqin MC13-s mini review.

rudedogg

AK Member
Hello all, i picked up this chi-fi amp yesterday afternoon off a local CL. I grabbed this amp specifically to see how it stacks up against my vintage collection, having owned many older SS and valve amps. I decided to put this little thread here, to help anyone thinking of jumping into the chinese tube game, from vintage valve and/or SS get an idea of what to expect. Of course this is only one man's opinion, YMMV.
The amp is very pretty to look at. It is also pretty heavy, a good sign in my opinion. The original power tubes are in place, NOS driver tubes were previously installed. The amp biased up very easily, and holds rock steady. I am using a cheap cdp as source, and a set of Rectilinear XII speakers currently.
I listened to Dave Matthews "Crash", Diana Kralls "The Girl in the Other Room" and some James Taylor to evaluate sound. I chose these because i have used the same music extensively with my Dynaco ST-70.
The amps sounds very good, it is dead silent with the music paused at full volume. Easily the quitest amp i have owned. It is a very easy amp to use and listen to. Compared to my ST-70, this amp is cleaner, does not seem to get grainy when pushed hard. Compared to my SS Crown amp, it has softer edges, if that makes sense...less damping maybe? Also one must remember this is an integrated, so it is pushing "itself", not being driven by a seperate pre as is the Dyna which introduces another component and cables to the chain. Vocals are spectacular as with most tube amps. It has a very nice midrange also, not quite as rich as the Dyna, nor is it as dynamic as the '70. The transients are not as explosive in the Yaqin as they are in the old Dyna. The Dyna exhibits this behavior regardless of which preamp i use as well. The bass (as in bass guitar and lower octave keys) is very good, however a bit bloated and boomy at high volume. This behavior it shares with the Dyna and other tube amps i have experienced. The Dyna i believe does have just slightly more control over the low registers i feel. Solid state amps do seem to control low frequency better in my opinion as well. Kick drum, snare, toms, all sound very good! Crisp and tight, and cymbals have nice decay. Percussion ( bongos/ wood) is awesome as well on the Yaqin.
Overall i feel this is a very "polite" amp. It sounds good at low, middle, and high volumes without losing much composure other than the boomy bass. I highly recommend it as a cheap and easy to use moderately powered tube amp. The comparison with the Dynaco is slightly skewed in favor of the Dyna, as it is outfitted with vintage Mullard outputs, Mullard rectifier, and Genelex small tubes. Maybe i will swap the Yaqin and Mullard valves between amps and post the results later.
Have a great day!
John

I've been eyeing that on CL. Glad it went to a good home. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the sound of the Yaqin with the Mullards.
Hey Matt, how are you? It is a nice little ( actually pretty large) amp. I think the Mullards will even the playing field by a good margin. You know how they sound compared to the Sovteks and such....just not fair really, lol. The Yaqin has NOS RCA "cleartop" 12au7s and JAN 12ax7s which are nice tho.

I'm running the Yaqin MC10T which is essentially the MC13 minus the VU metre, or a MC10L with the MC13 preamp section if you will.

The stock tubes are okay though I'd highly suggest holding off on tube rolling until you upgrade the coupling caps and volume pot in the amp. The poor quality of the caps and pot hold this unit back by a large degree.

I replaced the 0.47uf caps with 0.22uf Mundorf ZN caps and the 20k volume pot with a 50k Tokos Cosmos carbon track volume pot. For tubes I'm running Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7, PsVane Treasure II 12AU7 and JJ 6CA7 power tubes. It's turns it into an altogether better sounding amp. The difference is quite incredible and well worth the effort.

I'm not using NOS Mullards on this as I use a combination of Mullard, Telefunken and TJ Full Music in my EAR 834P copy phono stage and it just gets too warm otherwise.

Next I intend to bypass the input selector and install better quality solid RCA's bypassing the PCB on the input and reduce global feedback..... Not a high priority though as I want to sort out super tweeters for my B&W DM16 speakers first..... As well as Turntable arm and plinth upgrades etc

If there's one other Chinese amp worthy of attention it's the Oldchen / Aiqin EL34 which is a single ended pentode design with full point to point wiring. Incredible when paired with some relatively inexpensive Dayton USA PS220-8 drivers.

Last edited:
Just put my mc13s back on line tonight with all Tung Sol tubes. I was using the musical paradise MP301mk3. I rotate between the two. They both work well with Zu Omens. 20170628_190048.jpg

If there's one other Chinese amp worthy of attention it's the Oldchen / Aiqin EL34 which is a single ended pentode design with full point to point wiring. Incredible when paired with some relatively inexpensive Dayton USA PS220-8 drivers.
I have been eyeballing those little SEP amps as well! Tweakers dream amps! As far as modding the Yaqin, i am going to wait a couple months before diving in. I really want to get to know this amp before i change anything...i'll say this already, it is making me rethink my collection of 20 or so vintage tube pieces. This is one hell of a nice amp for the $$.

Just put my mc13s back on line tonight with all Tung Sol tubes. I was using the musical paradise MP301mk3. I rotate between the two. They both work well with Zu Omens. View attachment 958202
How do you like '13 with the Tung Sols installed? I am simply blown away by the sound of my Yaqin with my old Blackburn Mullards in it...

My MC10T driving my B&W DM16 speakers

IMG_20170623_223651_HDR.jpg

I haven't been in this location long and this room is terrible for playback. I'm going to insert a MiniDSP 2x4HD into the chain and EQ.

I have been eyeballing those little SEP amps as well! Tweakers dream amps! As far as modding the Yaqin, i am going to wait a couple months before diving in. I really want to get to know this amp before i change anything...i'll say this already, it is making me rethink my collection of 20 or so vintage tube pieces. This is one hell of a nice amp for the $$.

You won't be disappointed. It's one hell of a nice little amp although it's almost solid state sounding. With full range speakers (Dayton PS220-8) it's easily the most revealing system I've heard. Just incredible for vinyl playback. That amp with NOS Soviet military tubes and Dayton drivers is completely uncoloured so a little warmth added at the beginning of the chain does wonders.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom