YAQIN MS-12B Tube preamp w/Phono

cableguy

In Twang We Trust
Hey there...
I just picked up a YAQIN MS-12B Tube preamp w/Phono.

2000360708748856706_rs.jpg

2000395378520133810_rs.jpg

2000349898243100938_rs.jpg

2000366876544836048_rs.jpg

After agonizing over which phono preamp to but I chose the YAQIN because it was under 300 bills shipped and is a line stage as well, pretty much unheard of new...
Well folks I have had this less that n 24 hours and am in love with this little tank of a preamp. This sounds amazing, is built like a tank especially compared to all of the plastic boxes out there, and was a snap to set up....
I had a few moments of anxiety while waiting for it to arrive, wondering whether or not I had made the right choice. I ain't the least bit concerned right now as I listen to Ry Cooder....this thing is whisper quiet, no hum just sweet music...

Bill

Line stage and phono stage in the same box? Check.
Exposed tubes and brushed aluminum for great looks? Check.
Attractive price point for getting into tubes? Check.

Ergonomics? WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING? I mean, really! Is it terribly difficult, in the year 2008, to put all the RCA connections on the back side of the preamp? Rather than some on the back, some on the front, and the controls on the top?

If they'd come out with a more thoughtfully engineered Mk 2 with a couple more line-level inputs, I'd probably bite. As is, it could sound wonderful for all I know, but I'm steering clear of this design trainwreck.

well, they are the sides....one side closer to the preamp, the other side closer to the TT...thats why the on/off button is on the front (the long side).

well, they are the sides....one side closer to the preamp, the other side closer to the TT...thats why the on/off button is on the front (the long side).

Bingo....
But to each there own.....not giving this a try because of RCA location would be a crime IMO.
On sheer performance and sound this just kills more than several more expensive phono pre's that I have either owned or auditioned...

Bill

Seems there have been a lot more of these Yaqin units sold now that there is someone apparently importing them into Canada. I wouldn't mind trying one out one of the integrateds myself.

Sorry... I call the side the logo is on and the controls are oriented toward the front. Clearly, the designers meant the phono hookups to be on the front of the unit for some reason. Again, it's 2008! :wtf:

Not making any judement about the performance of the product - if Bill likes it, great. If they'd change the control/hookup layout a bit and add a couple of line inputs, maye a tape out, I'd drop a little more than their 3 bills, no questions asked. I'm glad it sounds good, but IMHO, the current design is a trainwreck.

Also, are you running this as just a phono pre, Bill? Have you tried the line stage?

I like the looks, and don't have a bit of trouble figuring out where the front and sides of it are.

Also, are you running this as just a phono pre, Bill? Have you tried the line stage?
So far just as a phono pre....I have a new amp on the way so I am keeping this simple for now...very impressed with it's phono capabilities.:yes:
as far a the design...actually it's one heck of a lot easier to negotiate the side mounted RCA's than if they were on the rear of the unit. It seemed a little off/weird at first but after set up and making a few changes between different IC's I like it very much....

Bill

As you can tell from my sig, I'm a fan as well...:thmbsp:

This piece can also do something many tubed pres can't, namely plug directly into a power amp using the standard output taps, or go into another pre or an integated amp with the lower voltage tap.

Many possible tube substitutions will have this unit performing way above its price range.

As you can tell from my sig, I'm a fan as well...:thmbsp:

This piecwe can also do something many tubed pres can't, namely plug directly into a power amp using the standard output taps, or go into another pre or an integated amp with the lower voltage tap.

Many possible tube substitutions will have this unit performing way above its price range.

good to see another fan...this thing is great IMO

Bill

I picked up one of these about a month ago too and for the most part have been really impressed with the quality for what i paid for it. I agree it could use a few more inputs but i guess thats nothing an external input selector box couldnt fix. The sould got even better when I dropped in some jj tubes, I wonder if upgrading the caps could make a difference too ? The only thing that bugs me is how much louder the line stage is than the phono stage, Im guessing this is just because my cd player has a higher output voltage to begin with. It would be nice to get a little more ooomph out of it when playing a record though as my setup gets plenty loud when using the cd player before 12o clock but I have to push it much farther to get even half of that when im listening to a record. Maybe I could get some high gain tubes or something, Im assuming the 12ax7s are for the phono and the 12au7s for the line stage ?

Yaqin MS-12B

I have Yaqin MC10L. It was pretty good. It got better after I changed the stock EL34 tubes to Siemens, and 6N1 to RCAs.
I am currently using Clearaudio Microbasic phono preamp.
I wonder whether MS-12B would outperform Microbasic.
Anyway, I am thinking of getting MS12B.

How good the line stage in MS12B is? Would it be even better than the line output from MC10L?

Thanks for your input.

The only thing that bugs me is how much louder the line stage is than the phono stage
Interesting...
I have finally started to use the line stage and am very impressed. I have a Pioneer Elite DV 38A that allows me to hook it up to two systems. This allows me really quick A to B capability.... I went a step further and added NOS RCA 12UA7's to the line stage and Tung Sol 12AX7's to the phono stage and the difference is pretty dramatic.
Regarding the gain differences from the former post....I have not experienced a big difference. There is a difference in gain, but not as much of a disparity as I have experienced with other preamps that I have owned. I am still really blown away by the phono stage in this piece.....
So far the Yaqin is my best audio purchase of 08...

Bill

Where are you guys ordering/buying this?

I purchased mine from an Ebay seller....it was a great overall experience. I was a little leary because he is in Canada, but I had mine in less that seven days. It was well packed and the seller was very professional.
(PM forthcoming...)

Bill

From ebay.
There is one sold from US which carries one year warranty. Check item #160216960840. $300 shipped ia a pretty good price. It would be at least $240 to get it from China/HongKong via airmail.

Yaqin

I have the MC -100B.Duel mono amp/ integrated. It has 4 KT-88s, 4 6sn7, 2 12ax7 is 30 Watts triode and 60 ultra.It is a grate amp built like a tank(60lbs) and sounds wonderful.All this for $ 700.00.You a lot for the $$$. Good Day.

I purchased mine from an Ebay seller....it was a great overall experience. I was a little leary because he is in Canada, but I had mine in less that seven days. It was well packed and the seller was very professional.
(PM forthcoming...)

Bill

When is k. d. lang gonna be your avatar? I like the new one though:yes:

Enjoy Craig

Back
Top Bottom